What to do with a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
So... I have done the Mr. Beer thing for a few years. Recently I upgraded to a Home-brew kit. I really enjoy the larger capacity of the 5 gallon batches as well as the "real brewing" experience it gives. Right now I am extract brewing with some grains but it is still better than Mr. Beer.
Today, I took ownership of a keg. Not sure if it is a half or quarter bbl. I am going to pick it up soon. Anyway... what can I do with it? I like the idea of a large capacity kettle with thermometer and ball valve.
What else can be done with it?

The obsession has begun ;) They do easily convert to brew kettles. I'd be willing to bet that's what most homebrewers did with their first keg myself included. Aside from that maybe a mash tun but that's kind of putting the cart in front of the horse.

well you could send it to me...

google keg to kettle, an angle grider and 10 minutes later and you have a kettle. I would recommend building a jig to make sure you get a clean and circular cut.

good luck!

Today must be a good day all around, I scored two free half kegs on freecycle. One is going to a kettle, just not sure what BTU burner I need.

nukinfuts29 said:
Today must be a good day all around, I scored two free half kegs on freecycle. One is going to a kettle, just not sure what BTU burner I need.

I envy you. Though a bar owner did just give me one. All shiny and made early in 2011. Id actually like to find a pony to do extract batches in and keep it only for gluten free brews

You would really envy me if you knew I have never (with the exception of a few BB's I got under $10 each) paid for any of my brew equipment and I can brew over 300 gallons if I had the ingredients lol

Not to hi-jack this post. Good info for the OP too. A lot of burners out there to choose from. I use a Bayou Classic SQ-14. It brings 7 gallons of water up to 175 in about 20 minutes and 12 gallons of hot wort (from the mash tun) to a boil in pretty fast. Not sure of their BTU rating but believe it's around 55,000 maybe a little more or less and this burner does not drain my propane tank quickly.

The best place I found to buy them is on Amazon. They are $49.97 and free shipping. They are built like a tank and easily support a 15.5gallon keggle filled to the top (I tested it with water)

Not to hi-jack this post. Good info for the OP too. A lot of burners out there to choose from. I use a Bayou Classic SQ-14. It brings 7 gallons of water up to 175 in about 20 minutes and 12 gallons of hot wort (from the mash tun) to a boil in pretty fast. Not sure of their BTU rating but believe it's around 55,000 maybe a little more or less and this burner does not drain my propane tank quickly.

The best place I found to buy them is on Amazon. They are $49.97 and free shipping. They are built like a tank and easily support a 15.5gallon keggle filled to the top (I tested it with water)

I have used the same burner with much success for a keggle. You will want to do a 30-45 minute burn session for your new burner in case some of the paint comes off of the stand. this produces a nasty odor that you want to stay away from your beer.

I have a buddy that is going to get me a keg, but not real sure what to do with it. I was reading about keggls. Are there any pics or plans for this? I am very new to the brew scene. Thanks

I have that burner ($50 bucks at local Ace + sales tax) it works great I have a 10 gallon pot but can easily handle keggle. One of the most stable cheaper burners out there. I do 5.5 gal batches to fermenter so I usually am boiling 6.5 gallons down to 5.5, then rack 5 to keg, bottle a few if needed.

To speed up boil time turn on burner when first gallon is in kettle from mash tun, if your doing all grain mashing. it speeds boil up as it's being heated through the 20-30min sparge as volume increases (great tip I picked up here, I also use high temp tubing so I don't worry about heat and plastic flavors)

total volume is about 7.5 gallons on a 1/4. a full 6.5 gallon boil will be very close but some non-foam agent may make a 5gallon boil and topping off to final volume could be doable.

Back