What to do with a bad batch!!yeah.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvbrew

Reaction score
im new to this forum and this is my first post. ive waited because who needs another bunch of stupid questions that are already here somewhere so i thought id add a little somthing when i thought i new sumthin. any way i recently brewed a batch of beer that didnt go so good (i highly suspect bisulfite or my use of for the failure), quite honestly it stank. I dont know if i can say this here i guess ill get told soon enough, but the only option i could see was to boil the alcohol out of it to be later turned to scotish *******. i must say this is one disaster that turned to an absolute victory. im sippen down my very own as i write this and cosider the investment in the neccesary equip. to be totaly forgotten for the experiance of being able to brew whatever i want. even a bad brew can be a good thing. hope i wasnt to forward in this post but i guess there are plently that know what im talkin about and will look at this with a knowing grin. only for the brave. I think if i did this on pupose it would have to be much better even perfect. any ideas out there would be insightfull and educational wich i beleive is what we are all here for . thanks.

Save for the fact that distilling is illegal and can be dangerous as hell, I'm right behind you...

its great to see others have been lateral enough to remedy what can be a huge pain in the ass with a practical solution. i have latly wondered if this was done with a good brew how much better it would be. dunno i do like my corona and could not dream of the sacrifice of it. but what about the real cheap supermarket lines that are drinkable but not savoured like some. seems like an option but as you say there are some risks. but Danger only if you scrimp on the right equipment i think, BOOOM what was that? hahaha. anyway back to the dream lab to find new inspiration. anyone care to share some insight.
On a further poimt i must say as a fairly new brewer with some chemistry background this has got to be the greatest hobby on earth.

re: Luvbrew

My father-in-law has a still that they made home made hooch out of when his father was still alive. It hasn't been used in years, but me and my brothers-in-law have been talking about pulling it out and making something.

Hmmm.....

They live on a farm, so there's plenty of open area to use it.

My brother in laws fathers father. You could write a song about that, ive gained inspiration from steve earles copperhead rd just latlely rd. cant stop listening to that song, im a bit of a folk fan and cant think of a better brew anthem. as sasquatch says there are inherent risks and you have to be fairly confidant in your equipment. or to put it another way if your brothers grandfathers still is a big mess of copper pipe and rusty pots id probably steer clear. modern stills are almost imposible to blow, (I said almost) and this only came about as a means to save a batch of realy stinky beer. im not so confidant about goin the whole hog. But where theres a law theres usually a will and where theres a will theres a way. hope you like that i made part of it up myself. haha.lol
Sorry Walker-san didnt mean to scare you, my post was purely for the sake of a one off divertion i wasnt of the mind that people should forget beer and head for the hills to make moonshine. Althuogh it does sound kind of fun!

Just a quick Q? does anyone know if sulfite containg glocose can ruin a brew? Im still trying to pin down the exact problem with the odd stinky brew and i usualy add 100gms of glocose syrup to each brew ontop of the standard brew improver? Thanks for your input, this has been fun.

You know I can't leave this one alone.. stinky brew= corona. Could it be that you are exposing your brew to light which will "skunk" a hopped beer.
On the other side, a few years back I had a poor quality brew that I ..ahem...turned into something a little stronger. 5 gallons into 2 26ers. Gotta love Copperhead Road.
You shouldn't add sulphite to beer.
Cheers

thanks for taking the time to reply. the brew i used was pale ale being a global southener. I love my corona and havent yet failed one, however i have been using sodium metabisulfite as sterilizer and on top of beerpack dextrose have also added 100gms of glucose containing sulfite that i can get real cheap.
On a further note i did an experiment with turbo yeast and 4kg of this same glucose and got the most putrid smelling muck that was hard to flush down the toilet let alone process further like my grandads daddy would have done. cant help but blame the sulfite as my hygiene is quite thourgh. SURE WISH I COULD USE THAT GLUCOSE THOUGH. any thoughts. thanks for takin an intrest. ive got a 1000 litre fermenter comin and would like to run it as cheap as possible.

Here's a tip - if you

A) go blind
or
B) start seeing things that aren't there

its potent and you've probably drunk too much :)

Back