What to do with 30#'s of Vienna

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I have a bag of Vienna sitting for 6 months that I want to burn up. I know there are Vienna smash recipes. I also have 30#'s of MO and a some 2 row I could mix in.

How would you use it up???

Vienna is an awesome base malt in just about any style & of course anything German is a good choice.
Vienna/tettnang is one of my all time favorite smash ales. I usually do it as a hoppy blonde/ german pale ale.
I also make a Helles using 80/20 pils(or 2row) & Vienna. keeping the hop additions to a minimum let's the malt shine through.

I have a bag of Vienna sitting for 6 months that I want to burn up. I know there are Vienna smash recipes. I also have 30#'s of MO and a some 2 row I could mix in.

How would you use it up???

Vienna IPA

attachment.php

Another vote for a 100% Vienna lager.

Other ideas - Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer (which is awesome) is mostly Vienna or an Oktoberfest.

I only do ales due to I'm usually out of beer and have no patience..Should have mentioned that originally

A pseudo Vienna lager or Oktoberfest made with 1007 or a similar ale yeast might do the trick.

Smoke some of it and go for an Alaskan Smoked Porter clone. Try different woods. Different amounts of smoke.

If nothing else, mix it with 2 row to give a small amount more maltiness to any ale than you would get with just standard 2 row.

I'm brewing this tomorrow. I think I'm going to just go all Vienna
What hops would you use?
I have:
Simcoe
Amarillo
Centennial
Citra
Mosaic
And working on getting some Cascade today.
What would be a good yeast for this style ale?
I only have s o4 on hand but could run to the LHBS,dry yeast would be better

I think the Vienna Amarillo would make for an interesting beer.

So4 is just fine for this purpose.

Bittering with centennial and late additions of Mosaic would probably be awesome.

I'd steer clear of 04 in a hoppy American pale ale type beer. Maybe some US-05 or that BRY97?

I have done a Vienna mosaic smash. It was one of my favorite. Got to do a Hop stand and dry Hop.

If all your grains are that old they should be tossed out. Send them to me and I'll take care of it.

Back