What to do...short on time, need beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strumke

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to enter my first homebrew contest, and I planned poorly.

I need to deliver 3 bottles by 5p on Saturday (3 days). I made an IPA and finished dryhopping last night. I racked the beer into a keg, used a 1/2 packet of gelatin to try and clear it and hooked it up to 35psi at room temp (it was too late when I finished to make room in the kegerator).

Tonight, I made room in the kegerator and put it in on 35 psi.

So, I need to get 3 bottles of beer sealed up on Saturday morning... If I shake the keg to get it carbed, will that stir the gelatin & trub back up to make a dirty beer? Is there any way to pull 3 clean, carbed beers out of the keg by Sat?

Should I shake now and then let it sit to settle until Sat? Any chance if this working?

IPAs are cloudy anyway, so as long as you can get it carbed and moderately clear, you should be good.

IPAs are cloudy anyway

not exactly... according to bjcp - "Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy" . a bit. the shake/roll method will leave it cloudy for days. it won't have enough time to dry-hop/carb/settle. i'd just bow out of the competition

What's the point of entering the competition? Just to have the judges point out the flaws that you imposed on your beer because you were pressed for time? RHAHB, so next time when you win you can feel good about the time, effort and attention to detail you put into your award winning ipa :)

I know the obvious flaw (cloudy), but I'm about 8 brews in and I'd really like some honest feedback (vs family & friends all saying "its amazing", which is at least partially a lie). I don't see myself winning, but at least I can get some info for the price of 3 homebrews.

don't rush it. do you have any experienced homebrewer friends, or a club you could either join or go to a meeting? great place to get true feedback. otherwise, drink these (but save a few for the next competition). i've been brewing for years and have only entered a few competitions (less than 5)

Back