What to brew.....kinda pot luck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJordan

Reaction score
I was at my local home brew shop yesterday and picked up 12.75 lbs. of malt. apparently it was ordered by someone who never picked it up, so got it for a big discounted price. It contains 10 lbs. Marris otter, 1.75 lbs. munic 10L, .75 lbs. UK dark crystal, and .25 lbs. UK chocolate. So, any suggestions as to what I can add to this that would make a spectacular, amazing beer?

For a 5 gallon batch, as-is grains, it'll be strong. Maybe too strong?

Based on the grain bill I'd highly suggest either doing a ~7G batch with it or if the grains are packaged separately, lower the Maris Otter by a few pounds.

As-is with a 7 gallon batch and assuming 75% efficiency, I'd say you have an awesome N English Brown. With 2oz ~4.5%AA Fuggles at 60 min you'd get about:
OG 1.051
FG 1.012-1.014
IBU 24.9
SRM 16.8
~5% ABV

If you can cut the Maris Otter to 6LB (or MO to 8lb and ditch the Munich) you can do a good Brown 5 gallon batch. Drop the Fuggles to 1.5oz. OG would still be around 1.050, IBU ~25ish, color a bit darker at around 20 SRM.

If you can do a 10G batch it'd make a nice 3.5% Mild! :) for all of these you could probably use Nottingham yeast or a liquid British ale yeast of your choice.

That's my take on it. Something brown and british. I think the percentage of MO indicates this was for a 10G mild recipe with decent efficiency or a ~5G something-else recipe with horrible efficiency. Or maybe a "strong" brown.

For 5.5 gals... Looks like it would make a good Strong Scotch if you get 80%+ efficiency, or a Belgian Dark Strong if you add syrup/sugar.

Lower efficiency it would make a good English Brown, or what I would do is load it up with Chinook hops and make a American Brown similar to Arrogant Bastard.

Ohh yes, a strong scotch ale would be great. I get efficiency in the low 80s, and I'd probably add a few % roasted barley or similar and make that. Nice pm5k00

Sounds like the grains are already mixed. Looks like the beginings of a 3-4 gallon batch of RIS. Check out the Russian Rapture recipe on here and add a few specialty grains and you're set.

Thanks guys. I had wondered if all the grains are mixed equally enough to do a few small batches as I do not have the capacity to do all grain mashes, hmm, maybe I should have thought of that before the temptation of a giant bag of grain got the best of me. :drunk:

Well I'd say youre on the hook for at least a mishmash! :p paint strainers here you come

I am needing to empty my grain bin, so recipe ideas are welcome.
Here is what I have: pounds
black barley 0.125
brown malt British 0.380
chocolate wheat 0.500
crystal 40 0.500
flaked barley 1.00
special roast 0.5
two row 10.0
The two row is set at 10 pounds only because the 10 pound bag is much less expensive than buying by the pound, and like I said, I am wanting to empty my grain bin. I have never brewed a big beer before, but I would like to see what would I could get. Thank you in advance. MM

EDIT: 144 views and no ideas?

Back