What the Firk in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-west

Reaction score
Came out to my car this morning to a nice surprise!

One of my buddys (still dont know who) dropped them off in front of my garage. I tossed them in the garage before I went to work.

Upon further inspection I noticed they are not the firkins ive seen before (these are not the firkins you are looking for) that you tap with a faucet into the keystone, they have standard sanke connectionswith bent diptubes.

It doesn't make sense to me that they would have both a shive hole, as well as a standard sankey tap. The more I think about this the more I confuse myself.

0130171707.jpg

0130171709.jpg

Those are gas tanks off VW dune buggies. Then end in th "dip tube" is the custom designed gas pick up tube as you go up and down the dunes... You must be a pup. ;-)
Tom. Almost as old as most sand.

Those are gas tanks off VW dune buggies. Then end in th "dip tube" is the custom designed gas pick up tube as you go up and down the dunes... You must be a pup. ;-)

I have seen these used for that purpose.

Should I just sell them?

I am New to beer. Been making cider for about 5 years.

Are you telling me these are useless for brewing?

Sorry. I was yanking your chain. I don't know what they are. I didn't google them. Some one here should know.

Sorry. I was yanking your chain. I don't know what they are. I didn't google them. Some one here should know.

No worries lol, I figured that was a possibility, I couldn't resist being a smartass :D :mug:

I did a little more searching today and still came up empty handed.

Only thing I can think, is this is a sanke converted Hoff-Stevens. Thoughts? What should I do with them? Fermenters?

Looking for plastic bungs for them. Would help if I knew what to call them. Anyone?

When I look up Hoff Stevens keg they do not look the same as what I have here. The taps are very different, mine has the standard us sanke tap. I guess I will give it a shot for $5 and if they dont fit ill toss them. I cant seem to find a dimension online anywhere for the bungs, are the all the same dimension?

Now it wood. (Following your lead)
But this was used by two breweries in the past to transport and store beer. Apparently the metal keg was only introduced in the middle of the 20th century. This one is stamped Ruppert's Brewery New York, also another brewery has a partial mark on it which I believe is Stegmaier Brewing. It has steel outlets in the end and side, also an inside finish that may be shellac. At first I was puzzled by the finish, until I realized that they brewed American Lagers and did not want any oak flavor.

Latest posts

Back