What temperature should i mash pilsner malt at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm am attempting my first try at a Saison and was not sure what temperature i should mash at for a grain bill using pilsner malt exclusively. I've never used this malt before so i wasn't sure how low i could mash at(i would like this to be quite dry) without significantly affecting the conversion for a 60 min. mash.

Regardless of the malt used, for a saison you are trying to get maximum fermentability to get it dry. I would say 145-148 for 90 mins. Others will surely have other opinions.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Regardless of the malt used, for a saison you are trying to get maximum fermentability to get it dry. I would say 145-148 for 90 mins. Others will surely have other opinions.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I was hoping for something simple like this. I have been looking through recipes and have seen many brewers on this forum doing multiple rests(they were also using rye and wheat, but i wanted to see if there was an ulterior motive behind their schedule).

With well modified malts (which are the great majority sold today) a single infusion should be fine. For the saison I'm drinking now I used castle pilsner and rye and mashed at 150 for an hour, it finished at 1.001. It also had 8.5% sugar, and the 3711 yeast-beast helps too.
:mug:

With well modified malts (which are the great majority sold today) a single infusion should be fine. For the saison I'm drinking now I used castle pilsner and rye and mashed at 150 for an hour, it finished at 1.001. It also had 8.5% sugar, and the 3711 yeast-beast helps too.
:mug:

Thanks for the response, that was essentially the heart of the question. I wasn't sure if someone would consider pilsner malt under modified. I know it has a lower lovibond than many other malts so i wasn't sure if this fell into that category.

I'm certainly not an expert on malt analysis, but if you're interested here is an article that talks about it, including things like the grind difference and soluble vs. total nitrogen ratios that go into determining whether a malt is suitable for single infusion.

I'm certainly not an expert on malt analysis, but if you're interested here is an article that talks about it, including things like the grind difference and soluble vs. total nitrogen ratios that go into determining whether a malt is suitable for single infusion.

Wow, that is a lot of information to digest. Thanks for the link. This will keep me busy for quite awhile. Great Info!

Latest posts

Back