What style of beer did I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsaavedra

Reaction score
So I made a beer, which I have only referred to generically as "German lager". I had some WLP 830 German Lager yeast in the fridge that was getting old so I wanted to spin up a starter to rejuvenate it, but I didn't know what to brew so I made the recipe up on the spot.

The grist is 33% pilsner, 33% light munich, 33% vienna, all from Avangard, a German maltster. I hopped it to 25 IBU with a half ounce of Magnum at 60 minutes, and a half ounce each of Hallertau and Tettnanger at 10 minutes. OG was 1.057 and it finished at 1.013, making for a 5.8% lager.

Its good and crisp, its malty but the hops let you know they're there, and its a brilliantly clear copper color. But I don't know what style, if any, it matches. It's more out of curiosity than anything because I'm not entering it in any competitions, it would just be nice to call it something other than "German lager".

Back