What spare equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonetrueruss

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm waiting to finish mashing and was getting my hydrometer ready to go and thought.. wow.. it would suck if my partially drunk self dropped it... I don't have a spare... So I was wondering what pieces of equipment everyone feels they need to hace a backup for?

I keep a backup thermometer, airlocks, carboy, and O2 (still using the tiny O2 tanks from Lowes), and racking cane. Thinking hydrometer will be added soon.

Extra Hydrometer is nice to have but a must for me has been an extra propane tank. Trust me, the first time you run out propane mid-brew day you will make sure it doesn't happen again. Other trivial stuff like stoppers, airlocks, grain socks for my non-all-grain buddies all seem to come in handy when everyone comes over and forgets things.

Oh and I couldn't live without extra thermometers since I am always paranoid one or all of them are not calibrated.

guess I should have listed the extra propane tank.. I keep spares for my grill so I didn;t think of that one.. definitely would suck.. though lots of places near me to get propane at 2am.. hydrometers... not so much

Your 24 hour gas stations don't have hydrometers? Lame.

I don't have a ton of extras, but I try not to tempt the gods either... I try to hold off on drinking much beer until I'm almost done with any particular brewing activity, whether it's brewing or bottling... I'll drink, just not much.

I definitely keep 3 extra hydrometers on hand. broken a few over the years and couldnt take starting gravity readings or final grav readings because of it.
Extra airlocks and parts ( i seem to break the outer housings a lot so i keep the lids and inner pieces from the broken ones)
Extra rubber stoppers
Extra tubes in sizes I use most
Extra timer
Extra thermometer
Extra Bucket lid
Extra bucket spigots
Extra spigot gaskets

Back