What size flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What size flask would you find most useful?

• 1L

• 2L

• 3L

• something else

Results are only viewable after voting.

WoodlandBrew

Reaction score
Depending on the size of your beer, the starter volume will vary. The question here is what size do you normally end up making for your beers? Based on that, what size would you find most useful?

I usually do a 1.5 liter starter. 2L flask would be my go to but I've just been using a growler. It has a bit of a curved bottom, but works fine for my purposes.

I have a 2L. It's served me well thus far. Though I admit underpitching and/or higher than standard gravity starters it does the trick. Usually. Not so much for high gravity (1.070+) lagers.

For that which I'm about to brew I need to do a starter, decant, do another starter, then preferably decant again, then pitch. Not such a huge issue if your brew is planned well in advance, but it is not the fastest method. I'm looking into getting a 4L flask as soon as finances permit to allow a single step starter instead.

I can't imagine a 1L flask being very useful. Even my 2L is barely big enough for my purposes, and I make medium gravity 5 gal batches exclusively.

I vote 3L+

I have a 2L, 3L, & 5L. I used to use the 2L most of the time, but it would occasionally blow off and make a mess. I recently picked up a 3L and have been using it almost exclusively, as anything I would have used the 2L for works well in the 3L. Haven't had any blowoffs in it yet. The 5L is rarely used, but does have its place, as in when building up a large starter for a lager.

I harvest from starters, so extra volume is nice. I use a 4L beaker. It was cheaper than a 4L flask. The smallest starter I usually do is 1.5L and the largest is usually about 3L.

I have 1-liters, 2-liters, and 4-liters. (I had a 5-liter, but there was an incindent that I don't wish to discuss. It's no longer with us.)

The 1-liter flask is almost useless. I do use it if I'm trying to get a yeast slant going.

I generally use the 4-liter, but will use the 2-liter for smaller beers.

I've tried using bottles and jugs in place of flasks, and I've never had much luck with them. I always have trouble keeping my stirplate from throwing my stirbar in anything besides a flask.

I have a 2L and a 3L Erlenmeyer, which I use with a stir plate. The 2L is the "workhorse," as most of my starters are within that volume. But for the occasional big beer or lager, the 3L is nice, though sometimes I still have to do a stepped starter. I would buy a 5L, but I have heard so many stories about them breaking easily. $50 is a lot of coin to spend on a big glass bottle that may not last long.

I bought a 1L when I didn't know what I was doing, I quickly went and bought a 2L and it works fine for my beers but I get blow outs so I think a 3 would be the all around best choice(for me)

I have a 2L and it has served me well - FWIW, I got the heavy-duty, wide-mouth version from Cynmar. It's awesome.

The local science shop has a used 4L on the shelf for $40. Definitely tempted ...

I have a 2L and it has served me well - FWIW, I got the heavy-duty, wide-mouth version from Cynmar. It's awesome.

The local science shop has a used 4L on the shelf for $40. Definitely tempted ...

Is it Pyrex or Kimax brand? If so, snap it up, as that is a great price, even for used. If it's one of those Chinese knockoffs (i.e., "student grade"), maybe not. The cheap ones often have scratches, air bubbles, etc., in the glass. Ask me how I know about those... :mad:

That's not a bad price if it's lab grade.

I've purchased a few 4-liter flasks on E-Bay for $25 each. I was a little nervous because I didn't know the full history of the flask. The seller did some research for me and found out it was used by a pharmaceutical company. I ended up using several different chemicals to clean it before using. It was very clean when I got it too.

I've only been brewing ales from 1.055-1.060, so I've been making 1.5-1.75L starters. My 2L Bomex Erlenmeyer flask has gotten a good amount of use.

I usually do step ups with OGs over 70. Always blew out with a 2L and lost half my yeast. 5L now and no more lost starter. Big mother, though. Always afraid of banging into something with it.

I just picked up a yeastir and a 2L flask just so I could steal yeast from the bottoms of Bells bottles and grow my own. I do 5 gallon batches and see no reason to need more than a 2L flask as long as I plan ahead so my starters are stepped up and ready. I posted once that I never use starters. My new stir plate made me a liar.. :D

I just found the perfect vessel for making LARGE starters! 5 gallon sanke keg with the spear removed. It can be treated just like a giant flask AND it works with my stir plate. Now I won't need to step starters when I brew 11 gallons of high gravity lagers.

I just found the perfect vessel for making LARGE starters! 5 gallon sanke keg with the spear removed. It can be treated just like a giant flask AND it works with my stir plate. Now I won't need to step starters when I brew 11 gallons of high gravity lagers.

Do you cold crash and decant? Wouldn't the shape of the keg put a lot of yeast back into suspension while decanting?

If I need to do something greater than 2 liters, I just do a quick 1 gallon batch and pitch off of that yeast for the bigger recipe.

Do you cold crash and decant? Wouldn't the shape of the keg put a lot of yeast back into suspension while decanting?

I crash it in the kegerator and siphon off the spent wort. That way you won't pick up much, if any, yeast. Shake the keg to mix it up and pour into a large sanitized container for storage.

I only started using liquid yeasts and thus starters, but so far my 1l flask.

A lot of my beers only need 1l of starter with the gravity I am typically using and mostly being ales, at least if I use my stir plate.

That means I am mostly using my 1l flask. I do occasionally use my 2l flask when doing large, high gravity ales, or doing large volumes or higher gravity lagers.

Usually use a 5L erlenmeyer for 12 gallon batches. When growth is complete, I do a cell count, chill and decant and then only pitch what I need. I have a 6L but it's only 400 mL bigger to the mouth compared to the 5L. The mouth is smaller on the 6L since it has a pour ring so it glugs when decanted which can disturb the flocculated yeast, especially poor flocculators. If I really need that extra volume I use the 6L or do a double 5L.

Back