What size coolers for my HLT and MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

json2001

Reaction score
So, I want to take the step and move to all grain. I saw home depot is loaded up on both 10 and 5 gallon drink coolers - the 10 are 39 bucks I think.

Should I get:
  • A. 2 x 10 Gallon
  • 1 x 10 Gallon (MLT) and 1 x 5 Gallon (HLT)
  • 2x 5 Gallon

I want to be able to make 5 gallon batches for sure. I also like brewing a variety of styles, so being able to mash for high gravity would be nice, but I'm worried with the 10 gallon, that maybe it will have too much head space with lower gravity beers?

Thanks for the advice!

So, I want to take the step and move to all grain. I saw home depot is loaded up on both 10 and 5 gallon drink coolers - the 10 are 39 bucks I think.

Should I get:
  • A. 2 x 10 Gallon
  • 1 x 10 Gallon (MLT) and 1 x 5 Gallon (HLT)
  • 2x 5 Gallon
I want to be able to make 5 gallon batches for sure. I also like brewing a variety of styles, so being able to mash for high gravity would be nice, but I'm worried with the 10 gallon, that maybe it will have too much head space with lower gravity beers?

Thanks for the advice!

This write-up from Bobby_M should be very helpful:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/

If it were me, I'd go with the 10 gallon incase you want to jump up to 10 gallon batches at some point. Heat loss from the extra head space shouldn't be a problem.

This write-up from Bobby_M should be very helpful:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/

If it were me, I'd go with the 10 gallon incase you want to jump up to 10 gallon batches at some point. Heat loss from the extra head space shouldn't be a problem.

DOH! Sorry for being so rude and not replying with a thank you sooner! Got side tracked!

But thank you very much!

I think I will get a 10g MLT, should the HLT match it in size? Or will I generally be sparging with less liquid so I could get a 5g?

Thanks again!

I think if you go with the 5g you will be upgrading it very soon to a 10g.

Rock on! Thanks guys! Gonna pick up 2 of these at Home Depot tomorrow I believe. Then comes the harder decision of what to outfit them with! False bottom? Braided steel? But that's a question for another day!

I have a 12 gallon Igloo cube which is perfect for all my 5 gallon batches. When I do beers around 1.100 it is nearly max out. I would go for the 10 gallon for sure you will be much happier.

Rock on! Thanks guys! Gonna pick up 2 of these at Home Depot tomorrow I believe. Then comes the harder decision of what to outfit them with! False bottom? Braided steel? But that's a question for another day!

I know you said that this question is for another day, but I'll answer you today. :D
I have the 10 gal Homer cooler and I now use a false bottom. I used the SS braid for a while, but didn't like having to "fix" it after each batch. Stirring the mash with the braid would get it all twisted, kinked, and stretched. The false bottom eliminates that problem. Sure, the false bottom is more expensive, but I realized that having to replace the braid every 5 or so batches, I'd be saving money in the long run. It's up to you, but I'd recommend the false bottom.

I know you said that this question is for another day, but I'll answer you today. :D
I have the 10 gal Homer cooler and I now use a false bottom. I used the SS braid for a while, but didn't like having to "fix" it after each batch. Stirring the mash with the braid would get it all twisted, kinked, and stretched. The false bottom eliminates that problem. Sure, the false bottom is more expensive, but I realized that having to replace the braid every 5 or so batches, I'd be saving money in the long run. It's up to you, but I'd recommend the false bottom.

Rock on! Thanks for the info!

You would've also saved the money you spent on a false bottom if you had taken a piece of stripped solid copper wire and wound it into a spring that would fit inside the braid. Like magic, no more twisting, kinking or stretching.

Back