What size Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 41638

Reaction score
Hey all-

I'm just getting into the hobby/obsession and am trying to get all the equipment I need.

My question is what size carboy do I need? I know people use 5,6 and 6.5g carboys, but what's the difference? I realize that you want some room in case of blowoff, but you don't want too much room for it to get too much oxygen.

I'm planning on brewing 5g batches to start.

I have both a 6.5g and a 5g, and I use them both as primaries, the 5g sometimes as secondary when adding stuff. The extra head space on the 6.5g comes in handy, however, I ALWAYS use a blow-off tube on both, no matter what. My carboys ferment underneath my clothes in my closet, so I can really risk a massive kreuzen mess. . .

Also, as far as oxidizing your beer, I wouldnt worry too much. As soon as fermentation starts it produces a layer of CO2 that sits comfortably on top of your beer, protecting it.

Welcome to HBT!

The bigger, the better, when it comes to primaries. The large headspace is not a concern (as long as you handle it properly), since that headspace should be purged with CO2 from fermentation.

The drawback to the 6.5 gallon carboys is that they only come in glass. Man, those things can get pretty heavy and tricky to handle when they you put twenty-some-odd quarts of liquid in them! Nowadays, I go with a 6 gallon Better Bottle, for that reason.

Also, if you want to avoid (or minimize) blowoff, look into Fermcap-S. I've used it for many years and swear by it. There are a number of threads on it around here.

TL

I'm really pleased with the 6 gallon Better Bottles for primaries. They're super-light and adding 5 drops of Fermcap before pitching the yeast eliminates any concerns about blow-offs.

The reason I ask is because there is a guy here locally selling 5 and 6 gal glass carboys. I'd like to pick a few up, but don't know which size. The consensus seems to be that bigger is better and I should scoop up the 6g ones.

If you are buying only one, buy a six gallon carboy.

If you are buyine two, (one primary, one secondary/clearing), buy a six and a five gallon.

Always use a blow off tube with primary at least untill krausen falls.

Pez.

DO IT!

I have to look into these fermcap thingies..

image_296.jpg

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/fermcap-s-4-oz.html
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=5987
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10388
http://morebeer.com/view_product/15464//Foam_Control_FermCapS1_oz

Northern brewer is the cheapest by FAR, (4 oz vs. 1 oz from B3 and MW, 2 oz from AHS)

I have a local guy selling some carboys by me; he has one 3 gal glass that I'm going to buy for 18 bucks (seems like a good deal). My questions is... what could I use the 3 gal for? Mead perhaps? I'm probably just going to stick to 5 gal batches of beer, so anyone have creative uses for a 3 gal?

If you are buying only one, buy a six gallon carboy.

If you are buyine two, (one primary, one secondary/clearing), buy a six and a five gallon.

Always use a blow off tube with primary at least untill krausen falls.

Pez.
+1 Just be aware that even with a 5 gal batch in a 6 gal carboy, you may still need a blowoff tube.

I have a local guy selling some carboys by me; he has one 3 gal glass that I'm going to buy for 18 bucks (seems like a good deal). My questions is... what could I use the 3 gal for? Mead perhaps? I'm probably just going to stick to 5 gal batches of beer, so anyone have creative uses for a 3 gal?

Mead or experimental batches. If I bought a 3 gal, I'd probably go with a a couple of them so I could still brew 5 gal batches and split the two.

Mead or experimental batches. If I bought a 3 gal, I'd probably go with a a couple of them so I could still brew 5 gal batches and split the two.

I see you have some experimental "carrot juice" going on.... really? Fermented carrot juice. Now that's something I'd like to hear more about.

I've yet to brew my first batch and am slowly amassing ingredients when good deals come up.

So far, I've managed to snag three 5-gallon carboys. I was going to use my 6.5-gallon bucket as a primary and use the carboys as secondaries or for mead, cider, apfelwein and the like.

That being said, do you guys think I would be okay to use the 5-gallon carboys as primaries if I used a blow-off tube and Fermcaps?

My husband and I brew moonshine, and we're looking for a bigger fermenter. Is there a glass carboy out there that is bigger than 6.5?

My husband and I brew moonshine, and we're looking for a bigger fermenter. Is there a glass carboy out there that is bigger than 6.5?

Yes, I've found the big ones are called demijohns. I've seen them up to 15 gallons and they may get even bigger.

Of course, there are lot of non-glass options that are large as well, like both metal or plastic conicals.

Back