what should the f.g be

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGBEERGUT69

Reaction score
I am still new at this so any help would be appreciated. I took the mcquaker oatmeal stout recipe and added 1# lme and 2# fresh clover honey i also toasted the oats but forgot to take a hydrometer reading now i don`t know what it`s supposed to end up .Anyone have an idea?

thanks for the reply malfet heres the recipe: 6.8 # english pale ale lme,1# flaked oats,.75#
chocolate malt,.75# victory malt, 0.5# crystal,0.5# black roasted barley and 1.8 ounces of kent golding hops but then i added 1# lme and 2# honey the original fg was1.016 i checked it yesterday it was at 1.020 so i kegged it it tastes pretty dang good but very high gravity.

From a rather rough calculation, I get your OG around 1.087, assuming it's a 5 gallon batch. Your changes would add about 20 points to it from what I can see.

Hey Smagee,

The original gravity of the recipe was 1.055 before the added extras the abv was 5.1 but thanks for the help anyway.

thanks for the reply malfet heres the recipe: 6.8 # english pale ale lme,1# flaked oats,.75#
chocolate malt,.75# victory malt, 0.5# crystal,0.5# black roasted barley and 1.8 ounces of kent golding hops but then i added 1# lme and 2# honey the original fg was1.016 i checked it yesterday it was at 1.020 so i kegged it it tastes pretty dang good but very high gravity.

The flaked oats aren't going to really work in this recipe, because you don't have anything that will convert their starches into sugars during a steep. If they were toasted reasonably dark, you might get some flavor, but I am skeptical.

Also, I don't know what you mean by saying that the abv was 5.1 before you added the other ingredients, because you can't really estimate alcohol without comparing both your original and final gravities. Do you mean that's what the recipe designers suggested?

You're starting with an OG probably near 1.075, but that's going to depend on how you used all those specialty grains.

What yeast are you using? To really get an estimate of FG you need to use the apparent attenuation of the yeast strain. Even with this you would only get a rough estimate, especially given factors mentioned above by MalFet.

There's not much you can do about the FG now. You just have to wait it out until the SG is stable for a few days.

The stout is bomb but not as dark as i thought it would be. Probably to due with the honey i guess?this one could have aged a bit longer pretty strong aftertaste like i just did a shot of everclear whoo!

Latest posts

Back