What should I brew with these old hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
I have the hops listed below that have been in the freezer in original packaging, think hop union vac sealed or silver vac sealed from brewmasters warehouse.

Near as I can tell they are either from 9-2011 or 8-2012 based on my order history from brewmasters.

I know they won't be as great as fresh new hops but since they haven't been disturbed and have been stored properly they're not going in the trash.

Any recipe suggestions? You probably couldn't guess I'm an IPA fan. Prefer clone recipes that I can compare if possible.

Simcoe 12.2 Alpha 3.4 Beta = 9 oz

Amarillo 8.2 Alpha 5 oz

Columbus 14.6 Alpha 3 oz

Magnum 15.2 Alpha 2 oz
10.4 alpha 1 oz

Sterling 7.0 Alpha 1 oz

Nugget 11.2 alpha 1 oz

Horizon 11.9 Alpha 1 plug

I just did the same thing, cleaned out hops. What I did was open up some of them and give a big sniff then crush a little and taste. I canned some Ahtanum, the rest seemed OK but I increased the 'normal' schedule. I then decided on APA and Blonde recipes with hop preferences and subs then bulled right into it. I ended up with and APA/IPA and two bitter (I expect) blondes. Love those blondes.

Back