What should I brew for my 50th batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogambo

Beer Nerd
Reaction score
homebrewing from 3 years (since May 2016) and brewed many styles mention below.. Looking for something interesting for my 50th batch.. any suggestions (Strictly beers only)

1) Stout (Irish, Oatmeal, RumRaisin, Oaked, RumRaisinOak)
2) Witbier
3) Hefe
4) Porters
5) Sour
6) Red Ales
7) IPAs

Farmhouse Ale - slightly hopped and maybe dry hopped -
Wyeast 3726/Imperial B56 Rustic
6% ABV
FG: anywhere between 1.001 and 1.007
NZ hops

Cheers!

The 1) Rum Raisin Stout looks really special for this occasion. That gets my vote.

But you probably won't be drinking it any time soon, if that makes a difference. All the others can be had in 2-3 weeks.

Have you tried something with Rye?

Or a smoked malt? I have used Oak smoked wheat, peat smoked, cherrywood smoked, mesquite smoked. It adds an interesting twist to a beer. Peat is strong and can be harsh - use a very little amount. Mesquite is somewhat harsh. The others are milder. These go very well in a stout or porter. Some of the others should do well also. I have used them in milder brown ales.

For my 50th batch I did a RIS. For 100th, it was a Barleywine. Coming up on 150 this year and thinking about what I'll do. In both cases, I bottled with O2 scavenging caps and waxed the tops. Put about 1/2 of them away for aging and crack one open every once in a while. They have aged well.

my vote is a decoction mash beer of some sorts. a barlyewine as suggested above would be cool. or do a split batch first running barleywine then second runnings make a small beer or add some extract and make it a full strength beer.

Farmhouse Ale - slightly hopped and maybe dry hopped -
Wyeast 3726/Imperial B56 Rustic
6% ABV
FG: anywhere between 1.001 and 1.007
NZ hops

Cheers!
Farmhouse ale is too generic term and almost every region have there own thing going on.. Any specific you have in mind?

The 1) Rum Raisin Stout looks really special for this occasion. That gets my vote.

But you probably won't be drinking it any time soon, if that makes a difference. All the others can be had in 2-3 weeks.
Always love this brew. Already have RRS RIS in my fridge..

Lager and Pilsner are only beers I try to not make as available in abundance in market

You should look into them a little more. You make other styles that there are also an abundance of. I believe a homebrewer can easily brew a beer, any style, that is as good as or better than the average commercial one, lagers and pilsners included.

Haven't seen it yet but I would suggest a BIG beer for such a milestone. A Belgian quad is a great choice, but other's might be a Russian Imperial Stout, a barleywine, a strong ale... Make it, store it, then enjoy it!

I’ve always wanted to try a beer using fresh spruce tips...
It is that time of year if native to your area...

They smell wonderful, but I’ve read not to over do it or it is like drinking pine tar lol...

Thank you all for your inputs. For this batch I have decide to go with Purl beer. Ordered all required ingredients and planning to brew this during coming weekend.

I plan to split the batch in to two 3 gallon batches and make a kettle sour for second batch using tropical fruit: Jamun (Java Plum)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/java-plum

I will keep you all posted on same.

Back