What shape of cooler is best for a MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesie9

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm thinking of going the cooler route for a MLT and I was wondering if anyone has any feedback as to whether it is better to use a rectangular or circular one. I would be looking around 10 gal in size. I had read on a previous post that it is better to have a deeper grain bed when lautering, which the circular cooler would give.

Also, does a bazooka screen work better than a false bottom in the circular cooler?

Thank you.

use one that holds water and doesn't leak... there isn't a right or wrong. I've used bazookas and false bottoms both get around 70% without mash recirc and 80% with mash recirc. The shape doesn't matter either. rectangular, drink cooler, cube. no difference. I would suggest getting something larger than 10 gal if you plan of doing barley wines or 10+ gal batches as the size will limit your grain bill. I've seen a dude with some vinyl tubing, hose clamp and a stainless steel scrubby get 70% eff and for that matter there is a brewery here that doesn't use a manifold or screen just let the grain act as a filter for themselves. lol anyway I'd get whatever you think is appropriate and fits your budget best. If it was me, I'd go CHEAP and save my pennies for a pump.

Back