what setting is your crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also interested to hear this since a grain mill and purchasing bulk grain is the next project I have in mind

I just bought a mill also, but haven't set it up yet. I'd also like to hear what everyone's is set at, and if they batch or fly sparge (since the crush size affects the behavior of the filter bed during lautering).

Right around .03

I should check it soon since it's been a while from when I set it.

Left mine on the factory setting (.39 I think). It's worked well, about 75% effeciency on average.

Barley Crusher set at 1.028, conditioned malt. Fly sparge efficiency around 90%.
Always check the factory setting on a new mill before using.

I recently purchased a Crankandstein 2D roller mill. Up until now I have had my grain milled at the LHBS or by a brewing buddy. So far I have run 2 batches through it at the factory setting of .045". I run my recipes through Beersmith and use an efficiency setting of 70%. Both time I got good efficiency, first batch was 85% and my OG was way high so I ended up with a couple extra gallons of Flanders Red. That's not a bad thing :). The second was around 73% but half the grain bill was wheat. Since the wheat kernels are smaller and harder than barley I probably should have milled that separately and set it for a finer crush. I'll need a lot more historical data before I start messing with the roller gap but all in all I'm very happy with the results I'm getting at that setting.
And I fly sparge.

you guys who condition your grain before crushing: ever worry about rust on the rollers?

The Barley Crusher rollers have been fine. Not sure what material they're made from though.

Back