What pump from these 2 do you recommend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionut

Reaction score
If the vortex is similar to the water circulation pumps we have in the US i would not recommend them for brewing based on the impeller design and head design. The rover looks to be suited for brewing and small production applications, so that may be the better choice. What does one of the Novax-G 20 gear pumps cost$$? They look like a neat little gear pump.

Novax B costs the equivalent of 120 $. The Vortex costs 85 $. A chugger is too expensive for my budget, twice the price of the Novax.
Here is a video with the Novax B pump, it seems that it is making a lot of noise. I could live with that if i know that is a good pump. Do you think that i could control the flow? how, with a dimmer? A ball valve on the output i don't think will work...
The Vortex pump is indeed used for water circulation, but i don't know if it has the same head desing as the US ones. Here is some pics with the impeller http://brewadelaide.com/forum/index.php?topic=942.0 it is magnetic driven, with a spherical ceramic head. This, i know for sure that it very quiet. A friend use it, the only problem is that it needs to be primed very well before use, if it get's air it loose efficacy and be louder.

Novax B costs the equivalent of 120 $. The Vortex costs 85 $. A chugger is too expensive for my budget, twice the price of the Novax.
Here is a video with the Novax B pump, it seems that it is making a lot of noise. I could live with that if i know that is a good pump. Do you think that i could control the flow? how, with a dimmer? A ball valve on the output i don't think will work...
The Vortex pump is indeed used for water circulation, but i don't know if it has the same head desing as the US ones. Here is some pics with the impeller http://brewadelaide.com/forum/index.php?topic=942.0 it is magnetic driven, with a spherical ceramic head. This, i know for sure that it very quiet. A friend use it, the only problem is that it needs to be primed very well before use, if it get's air it loose efficacy and be louder.

Not sure what your talking about, maybe March pumps?

You can get a Chugger pump w/ plastic head for $120 on ebay with free shipping. Which is equivilent to the Novax price you were willing to pay. Or is it just too high after currency conversion?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHUGGER-Pla...mebrew-Pump-/361276606570?hash=item541dc3886a

I am talking about SS head chugger pumps that ar sold here by the homebrew shop, 255 $ after curency conversion.
Even if i don't really like that plastic head i would buy the pump for that price, but because i live in Europe the shipping is almost the same as the pump, plus some import taxes. Is the plastic head sturdy enough?

ebay.JPG

Some folks have trouble with the fittings on the plastic heads, ( re: "sturdy enough").

You have to take care not to drop them, or over torque the fittings.

Anyway, there is no chance i will pay so much money on that. I will have to choose between the two from the first post.
Vortex is magnet driven while the Novax is (i think) not. I am not sure if that will make a difference in a herms.
Any ideeas about controlling the flow on this pumps?

The Vortex would be fine as long as you keep the low head in mind when designing your system. You can't pop that guy on the floor and expect to pump up to the top of your stand.

I just bought some of the Laing Ecocirc, which appear very similar to the Vortex you posted, from here http://www.pumpendiscounter.de/ReigaGbR-s319h290-Laing-ecocirc-E1.html

These have a head of 1m. They do a 3m version (http://www.pumpendiscounter.de/ReigaGbR-s438h290-Laing-ecocirc-E3.html) for a little more, but I think 1m should be enough for me as I'm only doing small batches.

I bought them because they're the model in my friend's Braumeister, and I like the fact they much easier to disassemble and clean than the march or chugger, while also being cheaper (at least if you're buying in Europe).

I haven't put them in a brewstand yet, so I can't give you an idea of how good they are. I'm going to hook one up to my mash tun soon as an experimentand will post on the forum with results soon.

Note, they only seem to be available in 220v.

I've considered those tan pumps but i read on the forum that aren't really reliable, so for 20 $, if 2-3 broke on me i get close to the price of the vortex for example. I don't have a budget that allow me to experiment very much.

I've considered those tan pumps but i read on the forum that aren't really reliable, so for 20 $, if 2-3 broke on me i get close to the price of the vortex for example. I don't have a budget that allow me to experiment very much.

I have 6 and they are very reliable as long as you use a reliable and correct power supply as well as keep the grain out of them. I have 3 of them hard plumbed into my system and besides switching from the 12v to 24v vesrions last year I have over 509 brew sessions on mine with no issues... probable 35 or so on the 12v ones and the rest now on the 24v ones... out of the 6 I had one that would stick and I was able to resolve that issue by swapping the magnet from one of my 12v pumps with the 24v... that said I would say these are excellent food grade quality with pps coated magnets and ceramic shafts.

The issue with inexpensive products is people are twice as likely to take shortcuts with them and twice as likely to blame the cost / origin when the side effects of careless or improper use come calling as a result....

Lol, when i read it i tought that i really should brew more.
Until i put all my system together i will think about buying this kind of pump too.

People need to be careful recommending random chugger pumps on eBay. In Europe he's on at least 230v probably 240. If someone over here in Europe goes and buys an American chugger without checking in advance they're in a pickle.

Back