What NOT to do: Near carboy EXPLOSION

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowpokeG

Reaction score
My first brew was a sierra nevada pale ale clone. It came out well, no big issues.

My second brew (hefeweizen) cost me over 8 hours of cleanup time on 2 consecutive nights. This is a story of what not to do, even when it is advice giving to you by someone who seems experienced.

After the first night of fermentation of my second brew in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy, my wife called me at work saying that beer had spilled everywhere in the basement and it had gotten all over one of her boxes containing her childhood/teenager memory stuff. No problem, I said. I've read about this. I told her I would head home to clean up but would first stop by the brewing supply store and buy a blowoff hose and drain it into a bucket with sanitizer liquid. No big deal.

I got home and saw the airlock had been pushed out and beer had foamed out. I lost about maybe 2 quarts of beer. I cleaned up (about 2 hours of cleanup and reboxing things) and apologized to my wife. Dried hops are damn hard to clean off.

On my way home, before I had cleaned up, I stopped by the brew supply store and the lady working it suggested I use the blow off hose I was purchasing to drain into another glass carboy. I wasn't thinking it through, and thought: Great idea! I have cats so I rather do that instead of using an open bucket so they can't drink the sanitizer liquid.

After I cleaned the mess, I filled the empty glass carboy with some sanitizer liquid and inserted the hose into both carboys, making sure the draining side had the hose below the water level. I had to push that blowoff hose about 18 inches into the carboy to get it under the sanitizer water level. I saw bubbles start coming out of that side and went to bed.

I had been sleeping for about 4 hours and at 6 am, my wife woke up to go shower. She came back upstairs and tells me beer is EVERYWHERE in the basement now. My tired and groggy reaction, after a frustrating night of cleaning and having the wife mad at me was: "WTFFBBQ I did everything they told me to do and its still doing it!"

My wife was super pissed of now. The whole house smelled like malt and hops, and not in a good way. I walked into the basement and saw hops and beer everywhere on the floor and on cardboard boxes in a 10 feet radius of the fermenter. There was about a whole gallon less of beer in the fermenter.

The blowoff hose was no longer attached to the fermenter. Apparently when it popped off it flung a ton of beer out of it.

I then realized my mistake and I felt like a *******. The blowoff hose is an airtight seal when inserted into the neck of a carboy. When I inserted into the fermenter and the second carboy it was essentially inserting more and more gases into the second carboy with no way to escape. It pushed air into the second carboy until the whole thing couldn't withstand the pressure anymore and forced the hose out of the fermenter.

Thankfully I had only inserted the blowoff hose about 1.5 inches into the fermenter and it was able to push the hose out to remove the pressure. I have a feeling that if I had inserted it far enough, the carboys could explode rather than be able to push the hose out.

It took me 5 hours to clean up that mess, reboxing lots of stuff, and lots of apologizing to the wife. I'm just happy that an exploding carboy didn't send glass shards and 4 1/2 gallons of beer all over the basement.

I still haven't called the brew supply store to tell the lady her advice was quite explosive. I'm trying to cool off a little longer so I don't cuss her out at the same time.

Those 3 1/2 gallons are now bottled. Hopefully they aren't infected.

TL;DR; Nearly destroyed my basement with an carboy time-bomb. It turned out okay.

Wow, what horrible advice she gave you...i dont even understand how or why she would recommend that to someone? Glad you got some beer out of it atleast. Stick to buckets of sanitizer and find a way to keep your cats away :)

I know a guy that had a carboy explode in his fridge. Luckily no one was around at the time, cause it nearly blew off his refrigerator door. Glass shards and beer everywhere. We're still not quite sure how it happened, as he just had a bung and air lock in it. I think there must have been a small crack or weak spot in the carboy. Glad you didn't experience the same thing!!

Let me get this right, you used a plugged second carboy? if so did she recommend using a plug on it?
I can picture how it would work to catch overflow without a plug, just the tube itself running into it.

Yet another reason why carboys are inferior fermentors...

Uh...better bottles work just fine, I consider them carboys but I think most people must automatically assume all carboys are glass.

At any rate this is yet another reason that carboys make bad blowoff containers, not bad fermenters.

Let me get this right, you used a plugged second carboy? if so did she recommend using a plug on it?
I can picture how it would work to catch overflow without a plug, just the tube itself running into it.

Think glass carboys and think 1" hose that fills the entire neck space of the carboy thus sealing it with no other bung or plug necessary.

Why wait till there is a problem to use a blow-off?
I always use a blow-off for the first week of fermentation, no matter the style of beer, nor how much head space the carboy (better bottle, or buckets) has.

But yeah, an airtight seal in the blow off container is a BAD idea. I was happy to read the hose popped off instead of a carboy exploding.

Why would you use a 1" hose and not a smaller hose and a stopper with a hole in it?

for those EVIL 1" hop particles lol..

i just use the orange carboy caps with a hose attached.. and i've had some serious krausen go through that thing never even close to a clog..

1" is deff overkill but it fits in all on its own and does the job so why not i guess!

Your LHBS gave you some awful, awful advice. Next time set up the blow off tube so that it's into going into a bucket or pitcher filled with water and sanitizer. I have two cats and never had any issues with them drinking out of the bubbling, foamy, yeasty blow off water. They're smarter than you think!

I use an old jar with two holes cut/drilled out the top (it had a rubbery-plastic lid - smaller nutella jar); one for the hose, one for gas to escape nice and easily.
I've not made the move to carboys yet - not got the confidence or the transport means.

when used correctly a 1" hose will never clog and fits a glass carboy perfectly.

I think he meant why not use a stopper with a 3/8 tube... so that the tube on the other end would not seal the other container.

That's what I do. I've never seen those clog up from blow off... do they?

tchamber said:
Clogged the carboy this time, by the sound of it:D

I think he meant it wouldn't clog with krousen, not clog the opening in the carboy. Of course it will block the opening of the second carboy. I made a blowoff after I had my WIT blow the airlock off and spray up my basement wall, all over clean laundry, and into the ceiling rafters in my basement. I made the mistake of buying. 1" OD tubing first, it has to be 1" ID tubing to fit tight in the carboy. then I got a quart paint bucket with a lid. I cut a hole for the tube, poked some holes for ventilation. Works great. I was also concerned because I have 2 dogs and a cat, but I have had no issues.

Wow, that lady should apply for a Darwin award. Glad you're alright.

Latest posts

Back