What Next For This Dark Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julioardz

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to go with this porter-like dark ale I have fermenting now and would like some ideas.

Recipe for 5.5 gallons
OG: 1.065, estimated FG: 1.012

80% Pale 2-Row
6.6% Chocolate Malt
6.6% Crystal 90L
6.6% Victory Malt
1 oz. Warrior for 60 minutes bittering - @40 IBU
1 oz. each of Liberty and Perle, steeped at 140F post-boil
Yeast: US-05, currently fermenting at 65F.

It's still fermenting but I can't decide what to do with it next. I can leave it as is, but that seems a little plain. I've thought of dry hopping after fermentation is complete, but can't decide if I should go with more Liberty/Perle, or use more aromatic hops. Citrus/Grapefruit just doesn't sound good to me in this type of beer. I've also thought about adding some oak chips. I've never done both oak and dry-hops in the same batch. The thought has crossed my mind. I don't care for adding fruit or other spices to this batch, and I hate sours, so I've tossed out those ideas.

Any other suggestions?

There's nothing wrong with a well-made plain beer. But if you'd like to do something to it, if it were mine, I'd dry hop with Liberty/Perle. You could add lactose for creamier mouthfeel, or add brown sugar for increased sweet richness.

Ideas that will have to wait for your next batch: Use S-04 or S-33 and compare. Or a lager yeast, like W34/70, for a Baltic Porter. To push it still further, you could employ S-04 and hop it to 70+ IBU, with Goldings hops, to try for an East India Porter flavor. Or you might add flaked oats or lactose for an oatmeal/cream porter, with a smoother mouthfeel. Or you could incorporate some rye malt or flaked rye for a little spiciness.

Thanks for all the suggestions on future batches. I'll have to try some of those. Maybe some Biscuit malt and oats with an English yeast next time.

For the current batch though, I'm also leaning towards dry-hopping with Liberty/Perle. Maybe I will add some caramelized brown sugar or molasses before dry-hopping and make something like DFH India Brown Ale with it.

I think leaving it as is will be fine as well. I made a more mild brown ale version of this that was one of my favorites, and I have been wanting more of it. I've also been enjoying the Liberty/Perle combination recently without much dry hopping. I'll just wait to see what I think when I sample it and decide then.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back