what kinda beer do i like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogma9

Reaction score
been trying all kinds of beer since i just started drinking beer 1-2 months ago. some of yall may have seen where i got fat tire few days ago. upon the first bottle i tried it was okay. the next night i drank a few and i think it's the caramel taste but just was to bold an aftertaste it seemed for me. finished off the last couple last night and still felt the same for it.

Tonight was grocery night so i decided to get the blue moon i hear so many peeps talk about. Now i hated getting it since it is made by Coors, but decided to anyways to see about it. I can for sure tell it's made by the big 3 cuz well they all got that same taste to them, maybe this is the wheat i'm tasting in this one, but still reminds me of the big 3 with a spicy citrus taste i'm guessing is the orange in it.

fat tire and sam adams have something similar to them? both of them have that same kinda aftertaste that i really can't stand. while budweiser, budlight, budlight lime and bluemoon have an after taste i enjoy more. I'm trying to figure out what it is in a beer i like (so i can copy that on my homebrews) since i can't really tell the difference between hoppy beer and malty beer yet. I made cowboy lager from my mrbeer kit that i enjoy too. the others i'm makin r still not drinkable yet to test.

Beer's i've had and like and disliked

liked- budweiser, budlight, miller geniune draft, blue moon.
disliked- sam adams octoberfest, sam adams lager, fat tire

Sounds like you don't like hops. Stay away from IPAs, Pale Ales and just about any other American craft beer. Hops are big in American craft beer.

Maybe stick to Belgians, light lagers and wheat beers.

I'm sure you'll come around eventually. I also hated Sam Adams the first time I tasted it. I used to hate it because it was too hoppy, now I rarely drink it because it's not hoppy enough.

I wouldn't say it's "hoppy" but it is definitely hoppier than the stuff you said you liked. Fat Tire is an amber ale, which is usually a pretty balanced style.

uh oh, so i prb won't like the amber ale that came with my kit?

Even if you don't like it, I'm sure some of your friends will take care of it for you! As for some other types of beer to try... try some Oskar Blues products, other New Belgium beers (maybe 1554 Black Lager), the wheat beer mentioned above has a sweeter tasting beer usually but should taste better than Blue Moon (try a real German Hefeweissen, Franziskaner is good if you can find it, otherwise go with the Spaten brand).

By the way, you should know you will need some additional equipment, to say the least, if you want to brew a Budweiser type beer which is a lager. Lagers need a much colder fermentation temperature.

uh oh, so i prb won't like the amber ale that came with my kit?

I'm not really sure, you'll just have to try it. If you want to brew lagers like the ones you listed, you're going to need a lot more equipment.

I would find a blue moon clone recipe and brew that next. It's an ale, so you won't need as much temp control. I'd suggest one for you, but I hate blue moon, so I don't know of a good one.

I think the aftertaste you are describing might be the term I call "red". It is an off flavor that lingers with me when I drink reds, irish ales, scotch ales, and Oktoberfest.

I would suggest wheats and pale ales.

Blue Moon is more of a wit than a weisse. Try Mothership Wit by New Belgium or Hoegaarden white ale if you like Blue Moon.

I think the aftertaste you are describing might be the term I call "red". It is an off flavor that lingers with me when I drink reds, irish ales, scotch ales, and Oktoberfest.

I would suggest wheats and pale ales.

i got a batch of west coast pale ale in my mrbeer kit right now, when i sample it from fermentor it taste promising, so i have hopes i will like it. prob will be bottling it tomorrow or sunday.

I'm not really sure, you'll just have to try it. If you want to brew lagers like the ones you listed, you're going to need a lot more equipment.

I would find a blue moon clone recipe and brew that next. It's an ale, so you won't need as much temp control. I'd suggest one for you, but I hate blue moon, so I don't know of a good one.

next year sometime i plan on a small fridge with the adjustable thermostat, but for now i'll have to do ales

figured i would post here instead of start a new thread, but i bottled my mr beer today, so while i had sanitizer made up i figured i would sanitize my baster too and grab a sample from my 5 gallon amber ale. Looked good inside, i was nervous it would be some scary stuff :cross: had the ring around the top where u could see it foamed up during heavy fermentation. hydro reading came out pretty good. it called for a range of 1.01-1.012, and i kept getting between 1.014-1.012 more on the 1.014 side but i figured that pretty darn close.

took a sip of it and not bad tasted like flat beer lol, i ended up drinking pretty much the whole sample tube. today made 6 days, so i think i'll be rdy to bottle some time after the 2 week mark.

i just started drinking beer 1-2 months ago.

snip

liked- budweiser, budlight, miller geniune draft, blue moon.
disliked- sam adams octoberfest, sam adams lager, fat tire

Had the same conversation with my nephew. He wants me to tell him what he will like. The thing is, maybe you just don't like beer. Despite some people's efforts to think they have to win Bud drinkers over to what they enjoy, there is nothing wrong with not liking something.

Try some killians it's really cheap and good imo. it's not very bitter infact i think it's pretty sweet for a beer.

Try some killians it's really cheap and good imo. it's not very bitter infact i think it's pretty sweet for a beer.

+1 on Killians

I would also try some New Castle from the store, there are a lot of good clones, easy to make, a dark beer that taste like an amber. Since you enjoyed that flat amber.;)

Good luck with your endeavor to find YOUR beer of preference and cheers!:mug:

Even if you don't like it, I'm sure some of your friends will take care of it for you! As for some other types of beer to try... try some Oskar Blues products, other New Belgium beers (maybe 1554 Black Lager), the wheat beer mentioned above has a sweeter tasting beer usually but should taste better than Blue Moon (try a real German Hefeweissen, Franziskaner is good if you can find it, otherwise go with the Spaten brand).

By the way, you should know you will need some additional equipment, to say the least, if you want to brew a Budweiser type beer which is a lager. Lagers need a much colder fermentation temperature.

+1. If your not liking the hoppy beers than you cant go wrong with a good Hefeweizen. One of my fav's. :mug:

If you enjoy the taste of a refreshing wheat beer see if you can get Widmer Wheat. It is around $6-7 a six pack and is similar to many other wheat beers like blue moon. Wheats are fairly easy to make and there are many kits out there to choose from.

Ya I think youll also come around. I started off like that, now I hate light beers. Try a pilsner. (If you can get ahold of Karl Strauss Woodie Gold try that)

Widmer has a little hoppy bite for a Hefe but I'd still get it to sample it and see if it actually is the hops you don't like.

I think you're on the right track with Ambers and Hefeweizen's. Some Ambers can have a hoppy bite but some can be smooth. You'll just have to try and experiment to see what you like.

Try several different types of Hefe's as there are many different styles/flavors.

I lean away from hops and to malty beer and I also like Porters and Stouts.

Back