What kind of Magnet is this? Use it for Stir-bar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpr121

Reaction score
So a buddy at work had these magnets up on his cube wall. He let me borrow one to take home to see if it would work with my stirplate. Wow it works 100 times better than my 1 inch stirbar.

He calls them razzies since they make a razzle noise when you put two together, and doesnt know where he got them.

My questions would be what are they made of, and are they safe to use with wort?

Anyone see these before?

DSC00051.jpg

It looks like one of those "rattlesnake eggs" they sell at the fair. Kids buy them in pairs and toss them into the air, they rattle and annoy the crap out of parents!

I have 4 of those. They are a noisemaker. If you have two of them and throw them up in the air close together but not touching they will make a pretty neat noise. You can find them in gift shops here in the smokies in Gatlinburg or Severville/Pigeon Forge

I've seen them, not sure where, but if you hold them apart in your hand and toss them in the air they will Raddle or what have you when they come together.

as far as what coating they have and if they are ok for wort I have no idea.

EDIT:looks like I wasn't the first to chime in on this one.

-=Jason=-

Sweet! That answers my first question (what are they?). Now to figure out if they are safe?

What kind of material could these be made of? They are a very shiny metallic finish.

i wouldn't use them. they can chip and hold bacteria really bad. there is a reason those are plastic coated in the real stir rods.

Looks like what they call "singing monkey balls"... Not sure I would want monkey balls in my brew, but to each his own. :eek:

BTW, actual stir bars are teflon coated... If the bar that you have won't do it for the size starter you're making, get a bigger bar... I have the one that came with my stir plate, plus two different thickness 1.5" long bars. I have a 2" long one coming that should easily take care of 3L starters...

Back