What kind of adapters do I need to a bottle washer on a sink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonyaz

Reaction score
My kit came with a bottle washer that has a female garden hose style connection, and my sink also has a female connection. Does anyone sell a specific adapter for this, or am I going to have to go to home depot and daisy chain 5 different adapters to get something I can use?

I couldn't find one at my local Lowes. I never tried Home Depot, though. I ended up ordering mine from Austin HB, since I was already placing a big order at the time. A good plumbing supply store might also carry them.

Pet stores that stock aquarium equipment sell them too for the aquarium vacuums.

I got mine from midwest for a couple bucks. Handy lil piece of nuthin. I use it to connect my cleaning wand to the sink. Handy gadget for cleanin the gunk out of my fermenters. Needs to be modded in a couple weeks so I can test that.

To be honest I don't even use my bottle washer anymore. I prefer the "fill and shake" method. It might sound crazy, but I'm more efficient that way. I actually use the adaptor to connect my RV Carbon filter to my sink faucet...

The Home Depot in Canada is generally less well-stocked than its US counterpart, but I made a very simple and effective bottle cleaner with about $20.00 worth of plumbing parts.

Just unscrew the aerator from the tip of the sink faucet. Most large basin-style sinks have those long faucets that bend at the tip at about 135 degrees. In my case, it has a M3540 (Moen) aerator on the tip. These are typically (55/64") or 22mm. Yours may be different, but let's assume it's the same model/size as the one I'm using. Now screw this new piece onto the sink's faucet in place of the aerator.

Now you just need a sink-to-hose adapter (ie: in my case, Moen M3743 55/64" to hose adapter), then a hose nipple (ie: WATTS A-683/GH10 swivel hose barb adapter; 3/4" FH to 3/8" Barb). One side screws onto the adapter you've already screwed onto your sink's faucet, and the other end is a set of metal ribbed protrusions. You then take a length of vinyl tubing (in my case, 7/16" outer diameter, 5/16" inner diameter), and heat the tip in hot water, and force the tip of the nipple/barb-adapter into it. Don't try to remove it, as it's on for good unless you plan to slice it up.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT use cheap rubber tubing in place of the clear vinyl tubing, as the rubber tubing is not rated as food-safe.

Finally, make sure the vinyl tubing stays on the nipple by using a screw clamp to tighten the hose around the nipple.

1) Sink-to-hose adapter
2) Hose-to-barb/nipple adapter
3) Hose slides over nipple, clamp slides over hose

The best part is that I can remove the entire apparatus in 10 seconds and put the aerator back on the sink when I'm done.

Good luck!

Oh, for what it's worth, I effectively have programmable valves connected to an array of 16 of these adapters which I've built, when then connects via waterproofed connectors to a PIC32 microcontroller system I built.

The end result is I have a 4x4 rack made of a metal dish rack that I populate with 16 bottles, hit a switch, then come back in 15 mins after it alternates cleaning each of the bottles. It's quite a nifty little DIY device.

Back