What kettle to buy for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geiges

Reaction score
I am new to BIAB or any kind of all grain brewing
And need a pot 10gal or so I have look at
Blichmann,bayou,tall boy and more. I'm willing
to spend the money on a better pot but thermometers
look like they would catch the bag and Sight glass look
like a lot to clean.
Any input would be helpful.
Thanks
Geiges

like a lot to clean.
Thanks
Geiges

I have a 10 gal Colorado Brew Systems pot- had it about a year. I just have the ball valve- so far it's held up nicely. I didn't get the thermometer for the reason you noted.
Spike Brewing has some nice pots. Sometimes they list pots in their bargain bin- may have a scratch or something cosmetic.
Northern Brewer recently had a 20% off on the Megapots ( I think).

like a lot to clean.
Thanks
Geiges

You'll get tons of opinions, so be prepared to filter the info you'll get. I typically do 5.5G batches to keg, so my Blichmann 10G kettle is an absolute workhorse. I highly recommend the Blichmann while there are a host of others that fill the bill nicely.

With BIAB, you need to be aware (as you are) that the grain bag will snag on the thermometer probe. I take my stir paddle and gently push the bag away from the probe as I raise the bag with a pulley. (reference Wilser bags and pulleys) The thermometer was much more important for me to have on the kettle considering the minor inconvenience of having to push the bag back some. If this still bugs you, Arbor Fab makes a D shaped metal mesh basket in that the flat side of the D shape doesn't hit the probe or dip tube.

Blichmann supplies a brush to clean the sight glass in seconds after removing a small Allen head plug. I usually squirt my water hose in the inlet and only brush it out after several brews. Any Blichmann product is spendy, but the quality is there.

like a lot to clean.
Thanks
Geiges
As you've seen in your thread, there are lots of good options/opinions. I have a 44 qt Bayou Classic SS kettle in which I originally had a brew thermometer installed. As you noted, the bag would get hung up (yes, you can guide it away from the probe,) and then I got a round SS basket from Arbor Fab, so I removed the thermometer. My kettle is insulated, so I found that using a thermometer with a 12" probe Thermoworks Dot through the lid works really well during the mash. I like it because it has a high temperature alarm you can set to hit strike. If you wait, you can get them cheaper than the $39 on sale/open box. There are also less expensive options without the alarm function. Obviously, you don't need it during the boil.
:mug:

I have a 15 gallon Blichman boilermaker. Came with a sight glass and temp probe. The temp probe is still siting in it's original box. I started out stovetop extract with a 7.5 gallon kettle. Looked at the 10 gallon pots and thought "that's not much of an upgrade" with a 15, I "could" do 10 gallon batches, although I would likely never need that much beer.

now I seldom do those tiny little 5 gallon batches, particularly since I have stopped bottling.

The only thing you "need" is a pot a bag and a heat source(propane,stove,electric)
Everything else is entirely up to you.You could by a premade pot setup or drill holes and build your own that will save you money if you want the bells and whistles.My setup is simple as can be and makes great beer.I don't have a sight glass,I have a tape measure.I don't have a pump,I have a spoon.I do have a temp probe that works with my electric controller but a floating thermometer will work just fine.
The Concord pot on EBAY is what I have as mentioned already and will last a lifetime,heavy duty pot for cheap.

what us poor folks do is to buy a $50 Outdoor Gourmet 42 quart aluminum kettle with included basket at the local Academy Sports store... I've made 5.5 gallon batches 3-4 times a month for the past 2 years with mine. Get a $25 ThermoWorks RT610B-12 thermometer ($25) and it fits the hole in the lid like it was made for it... You'll have enough money left to buy a burner and a few beer kits... :)

My recommendation is to get a kettle that is 2-3 times the volume of your batch size. I use the Bayou Classic 44qt/11gal for my typical 5.5 gal batches. It works well except for bigger beers like a IIPA, where there is so much grain that the total mash volume is more than 11 gal. As a result I have to use less water in the mash which reduces my efficiency.

If I were to do it again I'd go with something around 15 gallons.

My recommendation is to get a kettle that is 2-3 times the volume of your batch size. I use the Bayou Classic 44qt/11gal for my typical 5.5 gal batches. It works well except for bigger beers like a IIPA, where there is so much grain that the total mash volume is more than 11 gal. As a result I have to use less water in the mash which reduces my efficiency.

If I were to do it again I'd go with something around 15 gallons.

Agree
I do 10 gallon batches in a 20 gallon pot and start with 14 gallons of water plus grain.Go a little bigger then you think you need and never have any issues,The price difference is minimal for a bigger pot

I've never had a bag catch on the short thermo probe. Nearing my 100th BIAB batch. Maybe I should have kept my big mouth shut. Both of my BIAB kettles have probes. Indoors I use a cheap SS 9G kettle that I found through Homebrewfinds. Outdoors I use the Bayou 44Q .. for either bigger beers or batches over 5G

Thanks for all the info!
I do 5.5 gal batches.
I do like the looks of arbor fab's
D shaped basket and the bayou
44-q is big and good priced may
Like to ad electric elment later.
Thanks
Geiges

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to start BIAB but want to try and future-proof my kettle. I was looking at the Spike kettles in the 15 gal size with a 1.5'' tri-clamp for a heating element in the future. I'm only at the 5.5 gallon mark for brews now. I don't know if I'll ever get to 10 gallons but at least I think with the 15 gallon pot it could be done as long as it's not a "big beer". Only thing that I've been trying to find out is how to keep bag off the element and still have enough water in the kettle to brew with. I'm thinking the element in a kettle will prob be at least 3'' off the bottom. In a 15 gal kettle that is prob close to 3 or 4 gallons of water. If you add all your water at the start maybe 7.5 gallons or so and then add your grains it doesn't seem to leave much room with the added 3 '' of space for the element. Also, how do you get the heat from the element circulated while doing your mash? Seems like I would need a pump and a sparge arm of sorts.

Don't put a thermometer in the kettle if you're doing BIAB, especially with a basket. It's unnecessary and gets in the way.

What if you have an electric set up? How do you get the PID to read the temp?

Last edited by a moderator:
What if you have an electric set up? How do you get the PID to read the temp?

If you're running electric, you can mount the RTD below your basket/false bottom/whatever you're using to keep the bag off the element.

I was referring to kettle thermometers with mounted dials.

I have a Bayou 15 gallon kettle and recently downsized to a Spike 10 gallon and haven't looked back. I have only brewed 1 "big beer" and 1 10 gallon batch in the last two years so I wasn't really needing a large kettle, and I'm easily brewing 5.5 batches with the new rig.

I also have the temp probe and have never had an issue with it catching the bag (basket would be a different story).

The Spike is far and away better than my Bayou (which was perfectly fine on its own merit) and the customer service was top rate.

I have a Bayou 15 gallon kettle and recently downsized to a Spike 10 gallon and haven't looked back. I have only brewed 1 "big beer" and 1 10 gallon batch in the last two years so I wasn't really needing a large kettle, and I'm easily brewing 5.5 batches with the new rig.

I also have the temp probe and have never had an issue with it catching the bag (basket would be a different story).

The Spike is far and away better than my Bayou (which was perfectly fine on its own merit) and the customer service was top rate.

Is the quality of the spikes brew cattle or say the Blichmann $200 difference in value .
Has anyone bought a Tall boy brew kettle at northern brewer?
Thanks again for all the input!
Geiges

Is the quality of the spikes brew cattle or say the Blichmann $200 difference in value .
Has anyone bought a Tall boy brew kettle at northern brewer?
Thanks again for all the input!
Geiges

I do believe the overall quality is much better (Spike v Bayou) and to me it was certainly worth the upgrade. The walls are thicker, tri clad bottom for better heat distribution (and induction ready should I go that route in the future), handles are better, and I went for the welded ports (ball valve and thermos). Additionally, the gallon markers are much easier to see on the Spike.

I made some really good beer (and some bad!) in my Bayou but I had some money burning a hole in my pocket and wanted some new toys. I'd say get what your budget can afford. If you have the money go with a better kettle, but if you're on a limited spending budget then get a lesser cost kettle and use the extra money on other brewing equipment that will help you brew better beer.

For example, I also upgraded my burner at the same time and got a Blichmann. I love my Spike kettle but personally I think the upgraded burner was the best purchase between the two.

I will just throw in the thought to plan ahead! I'm using a keggle currently and brew imperial versions of many beers that take 13+ gallons of room for mash space as my boil off is 1.5G per hour. I get the best efficiency when I mash in at 2.3 qt/#. Take my advice for what it's worth as the environment effects boil loss.

I really wish people would stop advocating 'keggles'.

The first issue is the dubious legality of obtaining one. If you're buying one new to cut up, you're already spending enough to buy a kettle.

The second issue is they're a tedious PITA to clean through the usually small opening. The odd shape makes volume measurement complicated, too.

Another issue is if you're doing BIAB, you're trying to get the grain bag out of a small opening as well, which can lead to torn bags and a mess as wort spills everywhere.

The first issue is the dubious legality of obtaining one. If you're buying one new to cut up, you're already spending enough to buy a kettle.

The second issue is they're a tedious PITA to clean through the usually small opening. The odd shape makes volume measurement complicated, too.

Another issue is if you're doing BIAB, you're trying to get the grain bag out of a small opening as well, which can lead to torn bags and a mess as wort spills everywhere.

I use a keggle, and I do not recommend it. I haven't had much trouble with the opening (other than making it), but it is a pain to clean and move around - it's just too big and bulky. Even if you find a used one, legal issues aside, by the time you add a ball valve, thermometer, dip tube, etc, you aren't far off from the cost of a decent kettle.

Check Ebay, Concord Stainless Steel Brew Kettle.

+1. these suckers are thick, good quality steel. good pricing as well.

and sightglass is unnecessary. just look up the postings here on how to DIY volume markings on your kettle- you just need a battery or charger, some wire, vinegar and salt. easy peasy. if you dont want to mark the inside of your kettle, then just get a small cheap stainless spoon and put the markings on the spoon.

as for thermometer, i'd also avoid having one inside the kettle with BIAB. get yourself an infrared thermometer and just zap the kettle. that way you never have to open it up except to stir. the D shaped baskets from Arbor arent a bad choice either, but an infrared thermometer means you can measure temp of your kettle, fermenter, bottle conditioning, your dog, your turds, your dog's turds, your wife's butt when she's sleeping, etc. etc. etc.

Those infrared temps guns aren't so good on shiny surfaces. Just get yourself a decent (accurate!) digital thermometer.

+1. these suckers are thick, good quality steel. good pricing as well.

and sightglass is unnecessary. just look up the postings here on how to DIY volume markings on your kettle- you just need a battery or charger, some wire, vinegar and salt. easy peasy. if you dont want to mark the inside of your kettle, then just get a small cheap stainless spoon and put the markings on the spoon.

as for thermometer, i'd also avoid having one inside the kettle with BIAB. get yourself an infrared thermometer and just zap the kettle. that way you never have to open it up except to stir. the D shaped baskets from Arbor arent a bad choice either, but an infrared thermometer means you can measure temp of your kettle, fermenter, bottle conditioning, your dog, your turds, your dog's turds, your wife's butt when she's sleeping, etc. etc. etc.

Why wait until she is sleeping?

Also, I would say go double up from the volume into packaging you want.
Corny keg? 10gal pot.

Alcoholic? 15 gal for a corny :p

I am going for a new SS Brewtech unit, the 38L one. Same size as I have now, but it will work for induction and has a nice ball valve.

Not really advocating keggles, just the thought to plan ahead!!! Mine was obtained legally and was ready to brew with upon receipt, as it was a gift. I did solve the small opening issue by covering the edge of the opening with high temp hose slit down the side. You are correct that cleaning can be challenging at times.

Personally, I would prefer a nice pot that was lighter with a lower boil off rate!! Just figured I'd toss my .02 into the conversation.........:mug:

I have a 7.5 gal keggle that came
from a trash hep it's ok but a good
10gal kettle is what I need.
I do use 5gal coney kegs.
Lots of info.
Thanks!

I have a 7.5 gal keggle that came
from a trash hep it's ok but a good
10gal kettle is what I need.
I do use 5gal coney kegs.
Lots of info.
Thanks!

What's great about this hobby is that you can make good beer in a bucket and and old shoe if you know what you're doing! :).

Those infrared temps guns aren't so good on shiny surfaces. Just get yourself a decent (accurate!) digital thermometer.

so use the DIY etching to take the shine off a small area. problem solved.

besides, with the infrared you dont actually touch the turds. i dont care how much you scrub, i wouldnt put it back in my beer after that.....

My favorite BIAB kettle is the Bayou Classic 1140. It is a 10 gallon stainless kettle with basket. It has volume markings and a stainless ball valve.

$140 shipped. Go ahead and pick up a hose barb to go with it.

Agree 100%

Too many reasons to list for me why they are a poor choice. For under a hundred, you can get a 15 gal concord delivered with a lid, far better choice IMO,

I think it may be the visual appeal idk what the attraction is to be honest?

Then people spend money and countless hours polishing a boat anchor keggle...who started that nonsense lol just kidding Bobby....

Cheers
If a keggle make you happy, have at it just not for me....

Kegs are for serving, silly homebrewers!

I started with a 7 gallon aluminum pot--its too small.

I agree with the others suggesting a 15 gallon pot---it will let you do a 5.5 gallon batch up to ~20 pounds of grain (along with water for BIAB) or a 10 gallon batch of a 1.050 beer

I'm now using a spike brewing 20 gallon (after using a keggle x 5 years) and really wouldn't recommend a keggle.

If your looking for inexpensive, look at your local hunting supply store (like bass pro or gander mountain)--the have kettles and burners (and sometimes packages for both) that can get you started for less.

If you want to keep it really cheap - BUT VERY USABLE/DURABLE - get this pot:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PZ7K7A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

(you'll need the $20 lid sold separately)

Then get a weldless bulkhead from bargainfittings.com

For $120 you can have a pot that can handle 10-gallon batches with a valve.

You'll need a stepped drill bit to drill the hole in the pot (aluminum drills super easy). Bargainfittings sells the bit too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back