What I've noticed since going RO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynn

Reaction score
I just finished bottling my 3rd batch using Ro water and salts and I'm sitting here enjoying a fresh bottle of Great Lakes Christmas Crack (Christmas Ale)and going over my notes. There's a few things I have noticed about my batchs. 1) My beers are a lot cleaner in many ways. My beers colors are much brighter, lighter and clearer. 2) Fermentation is a lot cleaner and the amount of sediment left at the bottom is considerably less. Most of my brews have been mottled and heavy flavor wise specially as they got older. Unfortunately none of them are conditioned enough to drink right now. 3) The body seems lighter. I'm thinking I might need to start adding carapils malt back into my recipe to increase mouth feel. Is there a way to do this with the salts or will the mouth feel increase as it ages.

I just finished bottling my 3rd batch using Ro water and salts and I'm sitting here enjoying a fresh bottle of Great Lakes Christmas Crack (Christmas Ale)and going over my notes. There's a few things I have noticed about my batchs. 1) My beers are a lot cleaner in many ways. My beers colors are much brighter, lighter and clearer. 2) Fermentation is a lot cleaner and the amount of sediment left at the bottom is considerably less. Most of my brews have been mottled and heavy flavor wise specially as they got older. Unfortunately none of them are conditioned enough to drink right now. 3) The body seems lighter. I'm thinking I might need to start adding carapils malt back into my recipe to increase mouth feel. Is there a way to do this with the salts or will the mouth feel increase as it ages.

I understand #1- and that's a good thing!

But #2 and #3 should not have anything to do with water chemistry, at least not with simply using RO water and having a proper mash pH. The amount of sediment is generally the same, as is the body, but the flavor of the beer should be "brighter".

I understand #1- and that's a good thing!

But #2 and #3 should not have anything to do with water chemistry, at least not with simply using RO water and having a proper mash pH. The amount of sediment is generally the same, as is the body, but the flavor of the beer should be "brighter".

Would fermentation temp have anything to do with that. My cellar has gone thou a seasonal temperature change and right now its holding everything between 60/62 with out the aid of temp control. As the season progresses I have to move my batches upstairs as it just to cool for ales but its great for anything that likes mid to high 50's. I got a fresh pack of cali common yeast in the fridge just waiting for that day :D

Would fermentation temp have anything to do with that. My cellar has gone thou a seasonal temperature change and right now its holding everything between 60/62 with out the aid of temp control. As the season progresses I have to move my batches upstairs as it just to cool for ales but its great for anything that likes mid to high 50's. I got a fresh pack of cali common yeast in the fridge just waiting for that day :D

No, I can't imagine that could be.

What could be is that you're getting a better hot break and cold break, with a better kettle pH, so you're transferring less protein and compounds that make up trub to the fermenter.

The body? That I don't know.

That makes sense. As always yoop thanks for yours and everyone's insight. There's a reason we call you the queen of HBT and if we don't we should. :)

Back