What is your ale fermentation schedule like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metanoia

Reaction score
I'm finally getting back into brewing after a couple years off and am pondering what my temperature schedule will be for my ales (I'm not setup for lagering quite yet). My three house yeasts are going to be WLP001, WLP005, and WLP300, which all have similar suggested temperature ranges. I've got a gradual temp increase during fermentation already figured out for the WLP300 profile since I've used it before, and for the California and British yeasts I'm planning to ferment around 66 degrees F.

When primary fermentation is complete, usually after 5-7 days, I've been getting the fermeters into a slightly warmer room, bring the temp up to 70-72 for the yeast to finish cleaning up the beer. I'm initially planning on letting them rest there for about 5-7 more days then cold crashing 2 nights and bottling the following morning, which will typically fall on another brewday. I also may end up extending the second stage of fermentation up to 2-4 weeks depending on the beer and previous results.

Any issues with any of this? Does anyone else have a similar schedule or something completely different for ales?

I used to keep them between 64-67* for the full 3-4 weeks minus a day or two to drip dry out of the water bath.

Now I have a fermentation chamber and have been giving them a week at 64* and 2-3 weeks at room temp (~75*) as many believe it better to allow it to warm so the yeast are more active. It seemed just fine the way I had been doing it, and I'll be drinking my first beer this way soon.

I used to keep WLP 001 for a couple of years, and dumped what I had as I lost track of the age and was moving and unable to keep using it. I've been using US-05 which is supposed to be the same but I get slightly better attenuation and a tighter flocculation. I prefer it and think I'll keep some slurry once I make a low 5% batch of beer.

Your schedule looks pretty good to me. I normally wait for the beer to clear bit before packaging. WLP001 does clear fairly well for me within about 10 to 12 days without cold crashing. I typically package about day 12 and less I'm doing a longer dry hopping. Your temperature schedules look pretty good!

Your schedule looks pretty good to me. I normally wait for the beer to clear bit before packaging. WLP001 does clear fairly well for me within about 10 to 12 days without cold crashing. I typically package about day 12 and less I'm doing a longer dry hopping. Your temperature schedules look pretty good!

That's the downside of using plastic buckets for fermenters, can't see what's going on inside. I'm thinking I'll be able to get a good idea of the clarity from the hydrometer samples I take from the spigot, though.

I'm planning on brewing twice a month, three times a month when there are five Saturdays, so I hope to get this process dialed in after a few months.

I ferment @ 64-66F and when the krausen starts to drop out, Ill raise the temps up for a diacetyl rest. Ill then let the beer sit for another week @ that temp. If I am dryhopping, Ill throw those in once the krausen drops as well. If I am using a secondary for any reason, I transfer to that vessel after the two week mark

*edit*
If its a bigger beer, I will leave it in the primary an additional week or two

Is there anything to see at that point? I assumed after a week it was rather stagnant.

That's the downside of using plastic buckets for fermenters, can't see what's going on inside. I'm thinking I'll be able to get a good idea of the clarity from the hydrometer samples I take from the spigot, though.

I'm planning on brewing twice a month, three times a month when there are five Saturdays, so I hope to get this process dialed in after a few months.

I ferment in a chest freezer set to about 62 empty. I use plastic buckets and don't give a dam what the ferment looks like. I wait 3-4 weeks all at the same temp and then cold crash for another week. and then bottle. No fuss and my ales are as clear as BMC.

I have a dedicated fridge set at 64. I leave the buckets or BB in there about 4 weeks. Then keg or bottle. I generally leave it at that temp all the time so I can just rotate beer into the fridge.

Your plan looks good to me. As with anything you'll just have to see how the finished product turns out and make the needed adjustments from there.

I'm of the thought that it doesn't really matter what fermentation looks like. As long as the gravity is dropping I'm good. I cold crash now that I keg so I can get as clear beer as I can since I'm force carbonating and don't need the yeast after fermentation is complete.

I never cold crashed when I used to bottle due to the lack of an extra fridge. I pretty much used sa05 which takes a while to clear and my beers always were clear by the time I was drinking them. I typically let my bottles sit in the fridge for a few days so that clears them out pretty well. Of course there's a little sediment in the bottle but that's part of bottling imo.

Welcome back to the hobby btw! :mug:

I usually have different beers going at different timing in my fermentation chamber. So I am controlling the temperature of the most recent one just under the middle of the temperature range of the yeast. I have kegs in the fridge so I have no way to cold crash. I ferment for at least 14 days and usually 21 or more. They clear up nicely on their own. So I have really felt no need for cold crashing.

Thanks!

I don't have a fridge for crashing either, I'll just be leaving it out in the garage when it's cold enough and hoping it get's down in temp enough to drop most stuff out of solution. Better than nothing!

My method now is to ferment about 2 weeks primary, then i'll keg and carb at room temp for about 3 weeks. This is kind of like a secondary. Once its carbed it sits until it gets its turn in the kegerator.

I generally ferment for 3-4 weeks and give another 3-4 weeks to bottle condition followed by a full week in the fridge and my beers are very clear. I'm in no hurry...

Back