What is this thing inside my bottle mead?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerdie

Reaction score
I let my Traditional Mead ferment for 10 months. Only used honey, water and yeast, gypsum, acid blend, yeast extract and Irish Moss powder. I then bottled in wine bottles and corked it.

I make beer so I am pretty clean... I never had an infection that I know of....

I looked at my bottles lately sitting at room temperature.... and there's a lot of stuff inside all of them.... Like white/clear stuff .... that float around if you move the bottle!

Is this a contamination? Should I drink it? What should I do?

I drank a bottle a few months ago and it tasted pretty good. A few months ago before I drank it, I put the bottle in the refrigerator and after a few days I saw stuff in it... but I thought it might be chilled haze... But I really didn't take a good look at it before I put it in the refrigerator.... I assumed the refrigerator caused the chilled haze... and maybe it did at the time...

Could this be chilled haze? I don't remember it there when I first bottled... same temperature (room) now as before.

Could it be from the corks? I used wine corks (I boiled for 10 mins prior to use to sanitize). I heard white wines are usually not corked these days because it leaves a undesirable taste (unlike red wines). That's why many white wines use a metal screw on cap (not because the winery is cheap).

Could it be yeast? I racked to a bottle filler and I didn't pick up much yeast. And after you fill up a bottle you should have very little yeast because it settles to the bottom of the bottle filler.... Could it be the yeast autolyzing?

I made a prickly pear mead about the same time but there's nothing in those... I used pectine enzymes with the prickly pear mead though.

Is there a simple answer? I'm not a mead pro by any means... Here is a picture... it is hard to take one but here is the best I got...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It most likely is protein and yeast cell material that is aggregating and forming sediment. Cold will hasten this and produce haze and/or sediment. It probably will have no negative impact on flavor, but will just look less than stellar. If you put a bottle upright in the fridge, it will likely settle to the bottom, and when you open the bottle if you decant it first, you can leave the sediment behind so that it isn't poured into glasses. This kind of sediment can usually be prevented with long bulk aging and fining, but sitting a batch in the fridge for a few weeks before bottling can also be a good idea.

Contaminants will usually make things smell and taste bad.

Back