what is this growing in my garden?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashback242

Reaction score
i planted five rhizomes this spring and all five plants look pretty decent. I hope at least next year i should get a decent crop and am very excited. The other day when i was looking through the wife's garden i noticed a suspicious looking plant growing up one of the stakes for her beans. Out of curiousty i ran a string a little further as it had reached the top of the stake to let it grow further. I am assuming this is some sort of ornamental hop looking plant that i should remove from my yard immediately (i didn't plant it) but before i do i figured i would ask the people on this forum first. Below are some pics, thanks in advance!

Picasa Web Albums - Dave - mystery

That certainly looks like a hop to me. I've got 5 plants on the side of my house that look just like it! :D Of course I did plant all of those on purpose. The only thing I might be concerned with is the sex of your "volunteer". Just be on the look out for small clusters of little white flowers. Don't report me for hate crimes, but I had to tear out one of mine for it's sexual preferences this year. I either got a male from the supplier, or last year's lack of water and general stress made it go all transgendered on me.

Terje

I recall reading that thread now that you posted it. Thanks for the reminder! That thing is getting ripped out when i get home from work tonight. Like i said originally, i didn't plant it so my initial instict was to get rid of it anyways... At least my first year cascades and centennials are over 6' tall and looking healthy! Just need to get rid of some aphids. I plan to launch an attack this weekend with ladybugs so hopefully it wont be a problem! I tried soap water spray earlier in the week and it only seemed to make matters worse.

Leaves looked like it to me, with the points an all that..

Ok, yeah.. just went and found a comparison photo.. I'll be under my desk drinking a beer.

Back