what is the strangest ingredient you've seen in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougK

Reaction score
Pretty straight forward..

What is the strangest ingredient you have seen added to beer, or maybe added yourself? One caveat: it has to have been a drinkable brew.

One of the ingredients that has surprised me, though I have yet to sample a beer containing them, is jalapenos or chillis. I'm definitely thinking about trying to brew a jalapeno cream ale in the future, though I haven't worked up to anything that exotic yet.

ghost peppers in a commericial RIS. Barely drinkable...tasted like nacho cheese beer. Sipped about half a bottle down.

Either mountain oysters or actual pages from Moby Dick. Too bad they weren't in the same beer.

I saw one with bull testicles before. Didn't it taste it though.

I drank a stout with "Rocky Mountain Oysters" from Wynkoop brewing at last year's GABF. From my limited experience there was little to no testicle flavor, and the beer was actually quite tasty.

Ok....I'm not sure I would be able to try one with rocky mountain oysters.

I don't think I would go hotter than a Habanero in a beer either.

Had the Rocky Mountain Oyster beer- rich, malty, with a distinct nuttiness.

Look up Left Hand Stout Fade to Black, an awesome smoked Chili beer, one of my faves!

The Iron Brewer comp that our homebrew club put on last year used Shiitake mushrooms! Not surprisingly, they added a real earthy note to the brews.

UnDeadPresident said:
I drank a stout with "Rocky Mountain Oysters" from Wynkoop brewing at last year's GABF. From my limited experience there was little to no testicle flavor, and the beer was actually quite tasty.

You actually have a reference point on testicle flavor?

Lavender in an IPA. You could smell it, but it didn't make much difference in the flavor.

Pretty straight forward..

What is the strangest ingredient you have seen added to beer, or maybe added yourself? One caveat: it has to have been a drinkable brew.

One of the ingredients that has surprised me, though I have yet to sample a beer containing them, is jalapenos or chillis. I'm definitely thinking about trying to brew a jalapeno cream ale in the future, though I haven't worked up to anything that exotic yet.

I brewed a Jalapeno Cream Ale as my first all grain. It was easy, and the beer is a hit. Just enough smell and heat to let you know it's there, but in no way overwhelming. I definitely recommend giving it a try.

20130212_180739_zps079e8b70.jpg

It has great head, but I poured it slow in this pic so don't just it for that.

Formaldehyde! Back when I was drinking lots in Vietnam and Cambodia,the beers were full of it. The Chinese imports, you culd smell it the moment you opened the damn thing and sometimes couldnt get past the bad smell.
Apart from that, raw chicken!

Alesmith will do their Speedway Stout with Kopi Luwak (civet poop) coffee every now and again.

Forgot about that one. I've had two beers with poo coffee. Jackie O's and De Molen. My buddy who had the jackie o's said the brewer told him they spent $1 per 22oz bottle on the coffee!

Not a weird as Rocky Mountain oysters but my friend, did a s'more stout with marshmallows in the boil, and graham crackers in the secondary. It was outstanding. Another friend used quinoa as a base grain for a sweet potato ale. It was different, needed tweaking but it had potential.

you mean quite testy

Latest posts

Back