What is the best way to bottle from a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
I have heard of a beer gun. Just wondering. My brewing partner is buying a kegging system sometime in the near future but it's going to be at his house. I am going to buy some 22 ounce bottles and bottle what I want out of the batch from the keg when I need some beer. Will the beer stay carbonated or do I need to add carbonation drops?

There's a thread sticky'd above that tells you how to bottle with a DIY beergun.

Great vid Nostalgia.

If I could just figure out how to do that and save filled bottles hot. Can't have everything...I need a bigger fridge!

I am a slacker.. I just turn the pressure down a bit and pour straight into the bottle and cap. This is how I do growlers too. Works fine, not sure why you need all the crazy gear /shrug

Works fine, not sure why you need all the crazy gear /shrug

Bottling and then drinking within a couple hours at a party no big deal at all

BUT

Oxygen + poured beer + 24 hours or more = next morning fraternity keg taste = yecchh!

The crazy gear gets the flow going very quietly from the bottom up so that once there is a touch of beer in the bottom of the bottle it covers all agitation and minimizes oxidation. Counter pressure minimizes carb loss.

BTW This is my bottler:

100_1246.JPG

I snug the stopper to the top of the bottle to get some counter pressure

Bottling and then drinking within a couple hours at a party no big deal at all

BUT

Oxygen + poured beer + 24 hours or more = next morning fraternity keg taste = yecchh!

I guess ill have to crack one I have in the fridge bottled this way 2 weeks ago.. The beer is full of co2 that is releasing.. and if you fill the bottles to the top, there isn't that much opportunity for oxygen to get in there I wouldn't think.

Hand pumped kegs full of air is a little bit different then 12oz of beer in a bottle =)

Hrmm.. yeah, I just cracked off with a bottle that I had in the fridge for 2 weeks, and it tastes just like from the keg (though, the carbonation is a little lower... but I think it wasn't carb'd quite as much 2 weeks ago).

I can see your point on this, and there is the potential of issues.. but with the pressure turned way down (3psi) it rolls down the inside of the bottle. /shrug

Back