What is the best beer recipe that you've brewed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royal1911

Reaction score
I rarely brew the same recipe but sometimes I run across a real winner. One of my favorites is Nierra sevada from biermuncher.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/nierra-sevada-session-snpa-clone-27673/

I brewed it with a few changes since my LHBS didn't have perle hops or us-05 yeast. I subbed northern brewer for perle and us-04 yeast and plan to brew it again very soon.

Edworts Haus pale ale is another winner. I kegged it last Sunday and my neighbor and I have almost kicked the keg already!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

Do you have any beers that you brew regularly? I would love to have some ideas for some future brews.

I've actually settled on a trio of recipes that everyone in my house likes. First is my Citra IPA, 14lbs of 2-row and 1lb of caramel/crystal malt, Magnum, Centennial in the boil and Citra for dry-hopping. This is my fall brew.

Second is my Nude Beach Blond Ale, a saison using 3274 and a variety of hops. This is my summer brew.

Last is my Bohemian Lager. I just kicked the keg on this one yesterday. 9.5lbs Pilsener malt, 1lb Cara-pils/Dextrine, .5lb caramunich. 2oz of Saaz at the boil, 1oz at 45min, and one at 15min. Bohemian Lager yeast of course. This last one is my all time favorite, as well as everyone that has ever had it. People can't believe I brew this myself. It comes out crisp, golden, and crystal clear after a month of lagering. This is my winter brew.

So far I've only done this last one in winter as I don't have any temp control, but I'm planning on getting a controller for my beer fridge, and two of the Better Bottle 3g carboys that will fit squarely in the fridge without modification.

Note that I don't have a spring brew. Usually I'm riding my bike all spring and don't take a break for brewing. But I'm going to try the lager again.

I've never brewed a lager but have been wanting to lately. I have a temperature control on my freezer so it would be no problem. What temp do you ferment at?

I've actually settled on a trio of recipes that everyone in my house likes. First is my Citra IPA, 14lbs of 2-row and 1lb of caramel/crystal malt, Magnum, Centennial in the boil and Citra for dry-hopping. This is my fall brew.

Second is my Nude Beach Blond Ale, a saison using 3274 and a variety of hops. This is my summer brew.

Last is my Bohemian Lager. I just kicked the keg on this one yesterday. 9.5lbs Pilsener malt, 1lb Cara-pils/Dextrine, .5lb caramunich. 2oz of Saaz at the boil, 1oz at 45min, and one at 15min. Bohemian Lager yeast of course. This last one is my all time favorite, as well as everyone that has ever had it. People can't believe I brew this myself. It comes out crisp, golden, and crystal clear after a month of lagering. This is my winter brew.

So far I've only done this last one in winter as I don't have any temp control, but I'm planning on getting a controller for my beer fridge, and two of the Better Bottle 3g carboys that will fit squarely in the fridge without modification.

Note that I don't have a spring brew. Usually I'm riding my bike all spring and don't take a break for brewing. But I'm going to try the lager again.

I just picked up grains for the bohemian pilsner. I can't wait to try this as my first lager!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I got this recipe from brewing classic styles and have made my additions to it (vanilla bean and pumpkin pie extract in the keg. The key is the pumpkin pie spice - 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp nutmeg and 1/8 tsp allspice. I'm adding a little pumpkin to the boil for the 2014 version.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/399086/punkin-chuckin-ale-2013

I just picked up grains for the bohemian pilsner. I can't wait to try this as my first lager!

So how is this coming along? It must just be done fermenting, maybe a week or so ago. It's probably too late to tell you to pitch cold, at 45 or so, and ferment cold, bringing the temp up to 50, a little bit each day, and then raise to 58-62 for a d-rest for a few days. And make a big starter, at least 2 liters.

I've stopped doing secondaries, and instead move straight to a keg to cold crash after the d-rest. I also turn on the CO2. Since I'm going to let it lager I just set the pressure to 12-14psi, and let it sit for 2 weeks before first taste, taking small tastes for another few weeks before I start drinking it for real. You can really taste the difference as it matures.

So how is this coming along? It must just be done fermenting, maybe a week or so ago. It's probably too late to tell you to pitch cold, at 45 or so, and ferment cold, bringing the temp up to 50, a little bit each day, and then raise to 58-62 for a d-rest for a few days. And make a big starter, at least 2 liters.

I've stopped doing secondaries, and instead move straight to a keg to cold crash after the d-rest. I also turn on the CO2. Since I'm going to let it lager I just set the pressure to 12-14psi, and let it sit for 2 weeks before first taste, taking small tastes for another few weeks before I start drinking it for real. You can really taste the difference as it matures.

I used brulosophers quick lager method for this one. I brewed on 8/25 and kegged yesterday. I've got it one the gas at 30psi for 2 days then down to 15 for the rest of the week.

I used a 1.5 liter starter and cold crashed and decanted the starter before pitching.

I crashed the beer at 30 degrees for a week before kegging. It was clear and delicious. Looks like this one is going to be a winner.

I think I had a new favorite this year. La fin Du Monde clone recipe the LHBS gave me with some bottle captured yeast. Had 2 bags of candii syrup in it.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410710849.896178.jpg
It's not quite ready but I've never been known for my patience! 48 hours at 30psi now I've got it set at 20 psi and will bring it down to 15 tonight. I'll let it set for a week and enjoy.

Latest posts

Back