What is so great about cloudy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In the spirit of the lodo skeptical thread in this forum; purposely cloudy beer, .? I understand if a style of beer is cloudy by nature, great, I enjoy some cloudy beers. But when I see in recipes for some of these new fad beverages, adding adjuncts and taking steps just to assure cloudiness, I got to say "WTFO?"

I'll go on,.. since it is the start of the thread..and I am wasting time...Cloudy beers can mean a lot of things, it is not finished working, it is from the bottom of keg with a bunch of dregs, there was a dead rat in the barrel, etc. There is a reason clearer beer has been valued for centuries.

In the spirit of the lodo skeptical thread in this forum; purposely cloudy beer, .? I understand if a style of beer is cloudy by nature, great, I enjoy some cloudy beers. But when I see in recipes for some of these new fad beverages, adding adjuncts and taking steps just to assure cloudiness, I got to say "WTFO?"

I'll go on,.. since it is the start of the thread..and I am wasting time...Cloudy beers can mean a lot of things, it is not finished working, it is from the bottom of keg with a bunch of dregs, there was a dead rat in the barrel, etc. There is a reason clearer beer has been valued for centuries.
I enjoy a clear beer. Anytime I get a cloudy one I wonder what is wrong with it

nothing great. it's all i can make! about 7-8 years ago i tried all kinds of things to make a clear beer. ended up giving up and just saying it might be murky, but it's mine, and i love it!

(i think i might need a better cold break, but to cool 10 gal 'fast' would cost to much money for a pump and plate/counter flow chiller i believe)

edit: and if their making cloudy beer on purpose now? i think they're trying to copy my beer, first brüt...which i have been making 'low calorie, all day drinking' beer since 2015. And i've been making cloudy beer since 2005...

Intentionally cloudy?!?

That's just crazy!
What's next? Intentionally oxidized beer? Intentionally over-hopped beer? Intentionally sour beer? Intentionally foamy beer? Intentional yeast flavors?

Where does the madness end!?

Intentionally cloudy?!?

That's just crazy!
What's next? Intentionally oxidized beer? Intentionally over-hopped beer? Intentionally sour beer? Intentionally foamy beer? Intentional yeast flavors?

"Yeast flavors" intentionally fruit beer! Why not i ferment at 80-90f because i'm to cheap to pay the power bill to run the fridge!

Intentionally cloudy?!?

That's just crazy!

Heffs come to mind ...

Back