What is my temp?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeymjr23

Reaction score
So I have read that the temperature inside the fermentation bucket is generally warmer than the outside temperature, but I don't really have a way to check that.

I thought that the thermometer on the side of the bucket was telling me the internal temp, but now I am wondering if that may be wrong?

My question is...how do I tell the actual temperature inside my bucket without having a thermometer inside the bucket...is it possible?

The adhesive thermometers are actually pretty accurate. Usually within 1 or 2 degrees. During the peak of fermentation you will notice that the temp on the bucket is higher than the ambient temp. I imagine the center of the liquid in the bucket is slightly warmer and you could implement a thermowell if you wanted to get a more precise temperature inside the bucket.

Wash your hands, sanitize a thermometer, crack open the lid, stick the thermometer in, and check the temp that way. Compare it to the stick on thermometer, and note any variance, if any exists.

People are always afraid to ever touch their beer during fermentation. As long as you're careful, you're not going to ruin anything by taking a quick measurement.

Latest posts

Back