what is medium final gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decibelz

Reaction score
My yeast us-05 says it is a medium gravity what does that mean exactly? I know high gravity but how to tell what is medium im confused and im probably just thinking into it to much and it could be something simple anything would be great guys !

That's referring to the maximum OG of the beer involved. As in mid-gravity beers. I wish they'd be more accurate myself. Just saying "mid-gravity" is a little vague,imo.

My yeast us-05 says it is a medium gravity what does that mean exactly? I know high gravity but how to tell what is medium im confused and im probably just thinking into it to much and it could be something simple anything would be great guys !

i have used it in beers that have a OG of 1.085 and dried it to 1.012 in 2 weeks. So I'm sure it can handle beers higher than that.

if its referring to alcohol, medium is generally 5-10%. S-05 can go up to 15% tho
i think its referring to FG tho, but I always get pretty-high attenuation (~80%) out of it, so i dunno what they mean.

OG is commonly excepted as the indicater of low,meidum,or high gravity from what I've read of various styles of beer & yeast.

Just looked it up at Midwest. It does say "final gravity". Around here,it's OG. Doesn't make sense to refer to final gravity,since a 1.04o & a 1.05x will finish within a couple points of each other.

its just an odd way of referring to attenuation. I can't find the listing anymore, but I'm pretty sure they state 73-77%

its just an odd way of referring to attenuation. I can't find the listing anymore, but I'm pretty sure they state 73-77%

Yea it is confusing since having a medium final gravity has a lot to do with the starting gravity and the types of fermentables used. Seems to be a good all around Ale yeast, everything I've brewed using it has a nice taste.

Safeale uses the same word for their S-04 too:

"A well-known, commercial English ale yeast, selected for its fast fermentation character and its ability to form a very compact sediment at the end of the fermentation, helping to improve beer clarity. This yeast is recommended for the production of a large range of ale beers and is specially well adapted to cask-conditioned ales and fermentation in cylindro-conical tanks. Sedimentation: high. Final gravity: medium. "

After reading what everyone has said this all makes sense now why my FG readings always stayed in the 20's oh and to help everyone understand I've only used this strand so far . I have also kept some of the yeast from my primary and reused it in other brews so if any of you where wondering if you can save it you can. Any suggestions for an all round yeast ? Or something that will add to flavoring in the long run?

I found this chart on the whitelabs site. I remember reading somewhere that this means the yeast will start dying or becoming inactive or something when they are within these alcohol levels.

Notes on alcohol tolerance:
Very High: Over 15%
High: 10-15%
Medium-High: 8-12%
Medium: 5-10%
Low: 2-5%

After reading what everyone has said this all makes sense now why my FG readings always stayed in the 20's

can you give an example of a recipe, the 20s sounds pretty high for S-05 unless you're doing high gravity (like over 1.100)

Any suggestions for an all round yeast ? Or something that will add to flavoring in the long run?

depends on styles, but S-05, notty, and S-04 (not a fan) are great all round dry yeasts. too many great liquid ones to list without styles in mind

Yeah, US-05 is not your problem if you're stalling in the 1.020 range. I use all three of the main dry yeasts that dcp27 lists and they all work well and have their strengths and weaknesses. I only use a liquid yeast when one of those three dry yeasts is not appropriate to the style, like a belgian, California Common or a hefeweizen, or if there is some characteristic in the yeast that might come across inappropriately in the beer, like that mild stone fruit character from US-05. That being said, I've had some decent beers using that Safale dry belgian strain as well as a few wheat beers with the Munich yeast that weren't bad either. Dry yeast has come a long way. I've only done one lager so far, but for that I used the White Labs bock strain.

Back