What is interesting in Farmington Hills, MI?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wife has sort of asked me to drive her and the girls down to Farmington Hills for a baby shower. She hinted that I could check out a brewpub or something.

What's good down that way? I'm down for hanging out at a brewpub for a few hours. Better than watching ladies open onesies and chat about their shoes (at least that's what I imagine goes on at these things...)

Don't know about Farmington Hills but if you're going "down" to there you might be passing by Frankenmuth. There's a few brewpubs there. Can't say I remember having any particularly stand out beers there, but the food was good and the town is very nice.

Ah, the one site that is in construction. Do they serve food there?

Yes, they serve food. Actually the food is pretty good. The owner/brewer is a BIG supporter of homebrewing too, so if he's there and you can chat with him, don't be surprised if he invites you on an impromtu tour and possibly a sample of something that is about to be released. He is a really great guy.

I live in farmington hills. There really aren't many close breweries. Copper canyon is ok, but I find their beers not too interesting, but i hear the brewer there is awesome so if he is in he would be a great person to chat with!

My favorite place in farmington hills (not a brewery though) that has great variety of beer on tap and excellent food is called Uptown Grille which is at 15 mile and Haggety.

If you want to drive farther, then you have some excellent choices which I'd recommend looking up:
Kuhnhenn's Brewery (Warren)
Bastone Brewery / Royal Oak Brewery - They are right by each other (Royal Oak)
Big Rock Chop House (Birmingham)

Here's the beer list for the Uptown Grille.

I don't know how far "down" from Farmington you're willing to travel, if you come down into Royal Oak or Warren there's a ton of better places than Copper Canyon.

If you're willing to drive another 45 minutes to an hour further, then you really should hit Dragonmead above all other places. It's consistant and makes excellent beers. Here's their list though it doesn't list the nitro taps. Dragonmead

I recommend that place over any other. Kuhnhenn's is good, but a lot of times I go, they're out of stuff, to me that's hit or miss.

If you want more I can give you a list of all the other places. But if you don't want to stray too far from Farmington Hills, I would definitely go to Uptown.

Depending on what time, if you were hitting dragonmead I might be able to get some of the local HBT-ers together. Or at least I might be able to connect with you there for a drink.

Dragonmead is good but their service is horrendous and they don't have any real food to speak of. Kuhnenn is very good too, but like Dragonmead, they don't have any real food to speak of. I've never been to Uptown Grille before, but that looks like a pretty good place. I can't argue with the other guys about Copper Canyon... the beer is good, but definitely doesn't have that wow factor.

Another quick 30 miles down I275 to west M14 will get you to Ann Arbor and will find you Arbor Brewing, Grizzly Peak, Jolly Pumpkin, Blue Tractor, and Wolverine State BC. The first four are all within 2 blocks of each other right in downtown off Main St. This would be worth the extra 25 minute drive.
I've been to all but Wolverine and preferred Arbor BC over the others. Jolly was cool because I'd never had any sour beers.

If you wanted to stay closer, Witch's Hat BC just opened in South Lyon. Read this in the Mich Beer Guide.

Dragonmead is good but their service is horrendous and they don't have any real food to speak of. Kuhnenn is very good too, but like Dragonmead, they don't have any real food to speak of. I've never been to Uptown Grille before, but that looks like a pretty good place. I can't argue with the other guys about Copper Canyon... the beer is good, but definitely doesn't have that wow factor.

I've never had an issue with service at D_mead....I have at Kuhennen's though.

As to food, the thing about dragonmead is you can order in, in fact they have menus of all the local places, and the deliverers are used to it.

Most of the folks I know who go there do "brew n que" and order from Lazybones Smokehouse.

A smokestack lightning and Dmead beer is the bomb.

That does sound good Revvy... I like the brew & que idea, sounds fun. I'll remember that and maybe one of these days I'll give DM another shot and try that!

Wow, thanks for the responses! Not sure how far away I will want to go. I don't have an exact address with me. I think the shower starts at 1:30 and runs until like 4 or so. I haven't been to Dragonmead, but I've had a couple of their beers and liked them.

The Copper Canyon sounds good if there is someone to talk beer with too.

I've been to JP and Arbor and I def liked Arbor better. I'm not much into sour style beers. I didn't realize they were so close though. I have a friend who works in AA and might like to meet up.

Meeting some HBT'ers down that way would be awesome too!

Another quick 30 miles down I275 to west M14 will get you to Ann Arbor and will find you Arbor Brewing, Grizzly Peak, Jolly Pumpkin, Blue Tractor, and Wolverine State BC. The first four are all within 2 blocks of each other right in downtown off Main St. This would be worth the extra 25 minute drive.
I've been to all but Wolverine and preferred Arbor BC over the others. Jolly was cool because I'd never had any sour beers.

If you wanted to stay closer, Witch's Hat BC just opened in South Lyon. Read this in the Mich Beer Guide.

I'd second this as being worth the half hour drive from Farmington.

Latest posts

Back