What is better k-meta or k-sorbate and how much should I add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Viking

Beer Lover
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been busy but I'm getting back into brewing and getting closer to my first batch of mead. Which is better k-meta or k-sorbate and how much should I add to a 5 G batch?

Thanks to everyone for all the help so far!

Hello everyone,

I've been busy but I'm getting back into brewing and getting closer to my first batch of mead. Which is better k-meta or k-sorbate and how much should I add to a 5 G batch?

Thanks to everyone for all the help so far!
These should both be used on conjunction with each other.

Potassium metabisulfite is one of the most important winemaking compounds. It is an antioxidant and bactericide that releases sulfur dioxide into wine must. Use 1/4 teaspoon per five gallons to add 50 ppm.

Potassium sorbate, aka "stabilizer," prevents renewed fermentation in wine that is to be bottled and/or sweetened. Use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

Manufacturers instructions should be on the package that it came in.

I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, so if I'm doing a 5 G batch it would be 1/4 of a teaspoon of Potassium metabisulfite and 2 and a half teaspoons of potassium sorbate?

So should I add the Potassium metabisulfite when I put the batch into a second primary fermenter and then add the Potassium Sorbate and mix it in right before I bottle the batch?

Add both of them at the same time after you have racked your mead, stir and wait at least to next day, then back sweeten.

Bulk aging is fine, add it with k-meta once fermentation has stopped and you have racked.

Last edited:
Thanks, If I just wait until the FG stops going down for a week and then add Potassium metabisulfite and K sorbate at the same time and then stir it up and wait a day before bottling what will happen? Do I absolutely need to back sweeten?

No, you don't need to backsweeten. Taste it as is, and if you like it, don't do it. If you want it sweeter, then backsweeten. When I stabilize wine, i usually wait 2-3 days, though, not just 1. 1 might be enough, but when bottle-bombs are the issue, I don't like the word "might".

When I add Potassium metabisulfite and K sorbate do I wait for 3 days before I back sweeten? Do I back sweeten to taste or is there a calculator?

Last edited:
Whether or not you backsweeten, or how much, is 100% based on your tastes. Some people like sweet wines, some like dry wines. Some like sweet tea, some like unsweetened tea. Some like tea with 1 sugar, some want 5 sugars... etc. It's all based on very personal taste. I'd add the stabilizers and wait 2-3 days, taste it, and decide if I want it sweeter. If you want to sweeten it then, do it and you should be OK to bottle it immediately.

What I personally do is I add measured amouns of honey or sugar(100g/10l) and taste, until I hit the sweetness level I like, about 1.010. You can just pour it in until it's good to you and take a measurement.

I recommend a fining agent (clarifier). If you bottle it straight after back sweetening, you have wispy honey sediment in bottles after 6 months. It's not that bad, but as your making 5 gallons, you might want to make it right the first time.

Ok thanks for the help everyone. So I wait until the FG does not go down for a week and then add K Sorbate and then after 3 days I either choose to back sweeten or not but either way then I add the K metabisulfite and then I just bottle and age the mead?

Well, not exactly. Here's what you should do.
I wait until the FG does not go down for a week and then I rack and add sodium metabisulfite or potassium metabisulfite. Then I choose to back sweeten or not. If I leave it dry I can bottle it. If I choose to backsweeten, I add potassium sorbate and wait for a minimum time of 24hours, but preferably a few days, then I add honey to back sweeten. Now I can either bottle or add a fining agent and wait for it clear the mead for 1-3 weeks depending on what I used.

Latest posts

Back