What is a cherry wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taterbug

Reaction score
The caption says it all. I have seen Sam Adams cherry wheat,but never tried it.Is it a sweet beer? would women like it? I might break down and buy a six pack of the Sam Adams,but I hate buying something I dont like,as I am currently unemployed, and it aint cheap . I mean 8-10.00 for a carton of beer might be good for some,but I just cant afford it right now. I am not trying to brew beer to save money,but rather to get a good drinkable beer. Im sure once I get it figured out,the savings will come soon enough. anyway,what exactly is a cherry wheat beer? Thanks,Claude

Cherry wheat beer is a wheat beer brewed with cherries.

Yes it is usually quite sweet. For most, it's overly sweet. However, if you were brewing your own, you could control the amount of cherry flavor so in essence, you could make a standard wheat with a HINT of cherry.

Ya dig?

And to answer your question about if women will like it....

No man in the history of time has ever correctly predicted a women liking anything ever. Its impossible to give you a good answer here.

Yooper said:
I don't know of ANYbody, male or female, who likes Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. It tastes like cough syrup, but not quite as good.

My better half USED to like it...til I started brewing and she got educated :-D

It's awful. No one in the history of the planet earth, man or panda bear, anywhere EVER has liked it. Anyone who says that they like it is lying. They have never tried it and are just saying that they have to sound cool.

My ex loved (maybe she stills does) cherry wheat. That should explain everything.

Although, this OP just seems contrived to me. Reading it, I just find the wording of the questions strange. What does "would women like it" have to do with anything? If the OP is a woman, than the wording is strange. If the OP is a man, than it has no point in relation to whether he would like it, which is what the whole post seems to be aimed at. I'm suspicious.

There's really no determination on which gender likes what for this. Some women like stouts, some women like pilsners. Same with guys.
I know a few of both who like it (after all, it wouldn't be sold for very long if no one liked it).

Perhaps it would be better to buy something you know you do like rather than experimenting at this particular point in time, or find a place that sells individual bottles so you can try a few different kinds.

+1 to the above

I have a buddy who would drink this stuff. He couldnt tell when someone played a prank on him and put some hand soap in his bottle after he was a jerk to the prankster. might tell you how "good" it is :D

I agree this Cherry Wheat along with Blackberry Wit are Sams worst followings. Obviously some like it or they wouldnt sell it, but most educated drinkers won't touch it. I've brewed a couple Sam Clones. My favorites Sam Boston Lager Clone(made as a ale) and Sam Summer witch I nailed spot on. I seriously doubt anyone is trying to clone Cherry Wheat.

Stevo2569 said:
I agree this Cherry Wheat along with Blackberry Wit are Sams worst followings. Obviously some like it or they wouldnt sell it, but most educated drinkers won't touch it.

That's really a dumb thing to say. I'm a fairly "educated" drinker and I like it. But snobs are snobs for a reason, but mostly without reason

OK. Thanks for all the replies.I was just thinking about brewing something up that a Fraulein might think is good,other than vodka,which it seems they all think is good. haha. Guess Ill spring for a carton of Sam and see for myself. if I dont like it,Im sure I can find somebody that does!!

That's really a dumb thing to say. I'm a fairly "educated" drinker and I like it. But snobs are snobs for a reason, but mostly without reason

Some people like sniffin' armpits too. Its just general consensus that Cherry Wheat is terrible.

That's funny (Snob). I'll drink most anything. Notice I said most educated drinkers. Obviously there are those who like fruity beers. They probably drink Bahama mamas and sex on the beach too.

I wouldn't say that it tastes like cough syrup. It tastes like cherry chapstick! Blackberry wit tastes like cough syrup (which has been poured through a filter of toe funk)!

And what does brewing beer affordably or not have to do with buying commercial beer? Is this a BA-style post or what?

I often buy a commercial beer to see if I even LIKE the style (or the particular offering) before I waste loads of time and scratch by trying to brew something I may not like in the first place. I mean, I'm not a fan of IPAs -and I would not have known that if I hadn't tried a few different offerings -and would be a little put-out if I brewed up something I didn't like in the first place (and I'm not talking about the occasional batch of carbonated pond-water -though thankfully I've only brewed one batch of truly undrinkable brew (and that was a wicked eeevil brew) in the last several years).

And there again,Ive opened up a can of worms... I should run for office. haha

true -then you could show them how a REAL "Beer Summit" should be done! :) We could do a LOT worse than having a home-brewer in the WhiteHouse.

Im pretty sure that Sam Adams cherry wheat is pretty widely regarded as one of the worst beers of all time.

Like a Luden's cough drop. Nasty. And especially repulsive because cherry wheat replaced SA very respectable (to my recall, anyway) Dark Wheat (anyone else remember that one?)

Yes, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is bad stuff. But not all cherry wheat beers are bad. I made a dunkelweizen with dark and light frozen cherries about six months ago for my sister's wedding, and it's one of the best beers I've done thus far. So if a n00b like me can make a decent cherry wheat beer, anyone can. :)

Cherry wheat beer is a wheat beer brewed with cherries.

Yes it is usually quite sweet. For most, it's overly sweet. However, if you were brewing your own, you could control the amount of cherry flavor so in essence, you could make a standard wheat with a HINT of cherry.

Ya dig?

Good answer. thanks for taking the time to respond

And to answer your question about if women will like it....

No man in the history of time has ever correctly predicted a women liking anything ever. Its impossible to give you a good answer here.

Even better answer. haha funny but true. Ya would think that at 43 yrs old,and divorced,I would know that!

Back