What if the pre-boil gravity is too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippox

Reaction score
Say for my next brew day I go through the mashing and sparging process and then take a gravity reading and I find that I've now over-shot my gravity. Is there a preferred method to get me on-target for SG and in addition to maintain the same IBUs I was shooting for?

I assume I would add more water to lower the pre-boil gravity (which will give me more beer in the end), but because I will be making an IPA I then worry about the bitterness not matching what I was going for. I bet there's not a whole lot I can do, but I at least wanted to ask.

So really what this all boils down to is, if you don't originally hit the correct/desired pre-boil gravity, is there an easy way to figure out how much hops to add/subtract?

Edit: I will be making a quite hoppy IPA (high bitterness (100+) with a couple ounces of dry-hops.

couple of things.. first if you want to hit your PBG then water it down a bit. Second, if your over 100+ IBUS you wont taste a difference anyway. Last, if your that worried about the exact pre boil volume you can always remove some of the volume after you water it to the right gravity and then its a non issue.

you can boil the removed volume separately and use it as junk wort for starters.

Those are all good suggestions. Glad to hear from someone with experience that the change in hop presence won't really be noticeable. That was really my main concern. Thanks!

Back