What if my full boil doesn't evaporate down to 5 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markiemark

Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently brewing, started with 6 gallons water, steeped a pound of grains in a nylon sack, added 9 lbs malt, been boiling about a half hour. What happens if my wort doesn't evaporate down to 5 gallons? I only have room for my 5 gallon fermenting tank. Should I just pour enough to fill to 5 gal line? Will this affect the beer?

thanks a bunch!

I would fill the bucket to five gallons, or use a larger bucket. You will most likely have a lower gravity then you expected.

You could do a 90 minute boil while using your regular hop schedule beginning at 60 and just top off the fermentor if need be.

Or you could do a dry run by using 6 gallons water and see what your final volume is. Depending on how often you're using your current setup this is a good choice.

ok, so that means stronger ABV?

Also, a quick yeast question. I used 2 packets of an english ale dry yeast. I poured the yeast into a 1 1/4 cup of 80 degree water, stirred it til no clumps, covered with foil, let it sit. Is that all? Then just throw it in the chilled wort?

ok, so that means stronger ABV?

Also, a quick yeast question. I used 2 packets of an english ale dry yeast. I poured the yeast into a 1 1/4 cup of 80 degree water, stirred it til no clumps, covered with foil, let it sit. Is that all? Then just throw it in the chilled wort?

more liquid = more dilute

So less alcohol. It'll be fine though. Yeah that's it with the yeast.

GO GIANTS!

Extend the boil until you get your desired volume OR go with 5+ gallons in a larger fermenter. I do 5.5 gallons in a 6 gallon carboy to minimize my loss to trub- I probably end up with 5 gallons total bottled rather than less.

Back