What hops to use in my Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew a 10 gal batch of Strong Scotch Ale. I think I have my grain bill figured out but I'm wondering about hops. I have a bunch of Willamette, Cascade and Magnum in my freezer. Are these acceptable choices for my Scotch ale, and when and how much should I add to the boil? I don't really want to buy more hops if I don't need to- especially because Scotch ales have such a small hop character. Thanks for the help.

Strong Scotch Ale should be somewhere between 18 and 33 IBU´s
So it is just a matter of your taste really.

Use an IBU calculator to figure out your bittering hops and leave it at that, no addition hops there is.

i'd go with willamette based on the options you have. i believe it would be the closest to a british variety from the 3 you listed

I have to agree with BA,Willamette is one of the classic English ale hops. Same for Kent Golding. I've used both,& love the flavors that can be had from them. Nice little bit of bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Back