What hops to pair with Calypso?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktblunden

Reaction score
I was making a hop order and noticed that Calypso was being sold quite cheaply so I grabbed half a pound. I've never used it before, what other hops do you guys usually pair it with? I'm unfortunately out of Citra and not interested in tracking it down and paying outlandish prices for it, so that one's probably out.

Also, has anyone used Calypso in a style other than Pale/IPA? I have a lot of those on deck currently and it might be refreshing to use a citrusy hop in a different style of beer for a change.

I bought a pound last spring and am most of the way through it now, I quite like it! They last so long because they're such a strong AA. I've paired them with most anything and they work well, it's a clean bittering. And used in the aroma / flavor range it gives a certain special something.

I did an IPA with a 1/3 mix of Calypso, 1/3 Tettnanger, 1/3 Centennial, so like .3oz of each at every addition throughout and it tasted super good.

I take it back, my wife got me 11oz of Citra for Christmas, along with a pound of Simcoe, half a pound of Amarillo, and half a pound of Mosaic. So I'm all set for some delicious fruity and piney beers! Yay for an awesome wife!

Back