What hops to dry hop with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb17042

Reaction score
I made my first ipa and am trying to decide what and how much dry hops I should use. I used a brewers best ipa kit for the base but used the following pellet hops. 5gal batch.

1oz Warrior 60min
1oz Simcoe 60min
.5oz Centennial 15min
.5oz Cascade 15min
.5oz Centennial 0min
.5oz Cascade 0min

I have or can get almost anything(pellets) from LHBS. My wife and I like the grapefruit/citrus type ipa's so I would like to get it that way. I dont think I can get Amarillo or Citra though.

THANKS!!!!

Cascade is always a winner, I will generally go 7 days with 2 oz and then bottle/keg

Cascade is awesome, I agree. I would have saved the simcoe for a late addition or for dry hopping though.

Thanks or the replies. I did the simcoe as a bittering because I really like FW Union Jack and I know they use Warrior and Simcoe as bittering. They also have Cent/Cascade as late additions. Not doing a clone but decided to do it similar and see what happens. I still have another 1oz of Simcoe too. My thought was the 50/50 Cent/Cascade though. This is the first time I am trying it on my own with the hops instead of from a recipe so I am willing to try anything!!

If you like citrus, you can always add zest. I made a citrus IPA dry hopped with summit and cascade and some orange and lemon zest. It is fantastic!

Try a Centennial + Columbus combo with a 2:1 proportion for a great citrus aroma with a hint of complexity. But if you're not into columbus, the cascade and centennial is great.

Since you still have an ounce of Simcoe, definitely use that. Throw in another two ounces of cascade and you should have a winner.

Simcoe Simcoe Simcoe.:ban: Hey man if you don't know what to use when it comes to dry-hopping, get all of your bags of hops out and smell each one. When you dry hop you impart tons of aroma to the brew. Pick the hop that you would like to smell coming out of your glass!! But seriously.... Simcoe!!

Simcoe and Columbus together can be pretty awesome. Despite the fact that they are both stinky as hell.

You go to Scotzin Brothers in Lemoyne? Or is there another place over there in Lebanon County? I thought I saw Citra at Scotzin before.

Back