What hops are ideal for single-hopped PAs/IPAs and WHY?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles_1111

Reaction score
I know some Pale Ales or IPAs use only one hop in them, such as Cascade, Mosaic or Ctria, and the name for it is the Single-Hopped PAs or IPAs. My question is what hops can be used as single hopped and why? or Why not? Can I use Chinook for that or Galaxy?

Please feel free to give your ideas and share experience. Much appreciated. :) Cheers.

You can use just about any hop as a single hop brew. Chinook and Galaxy make delicious single hop. I prefer to use a cheep bittering hop, like magnum or warrior, then use the good stuff for the late additions. If you really want to understand more about hops, read "For The Love of Hops."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1938469011/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Like PADave says, you can use any hop, but it might not be as cost-effective to use something like Citra or Galaxy as your bittering hop since most (if not all) of the flavor and aroma will be boiled out. So I like to use a hop like Warrior or one of the CTZ hops for bittering. Another consideration is the interplay of hop combinations; I love how a piney hop like Simcoe interacts with a citrusy hop like Amarillo. I've had some really fresh commercial single-hop IPAs and find them to be one-note.

But if you want to go for it, go for it! There really is no "wrong" hop. You're only limited by the hop's characteristics!

Depends on whom you ask. 10 years ago it was all about the 4 C’s (Centennial, Columbus, Cascade, and CTZ)—now it’s more about juicy, tropical, stone fruit.

Recently I’ve loved Idaho 7. Consider using Idaho 7 pellets for the boil, then whirlpool and/or dry hop with Idaho 7 hop hash from LD Carson—it’s simply incredible for its punch of flavor.

As previously stated (kinda)... all hops are good. It really depends on your palate. Some people can't stand a particular hop, or love all beer made with another. I brewed a intentionally slightly soured SMASH with Belma which was incredible, not to mention it was 9.5% and drank like a 6% (literally you wouldn't know until you had couple of pints). Belma is cheap, underappreciated and can taste like strawberry.

When choosing a single hop, buy as fresh as you can get and select a hop with flavors you like.

Back