What "healthy" beer have you dumped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sboyajian

Reaction score
So I've had a keg of Amber Ale I brewed in November sitting in the kegerator. I don't like it. Most of my friends don't like it. It was a kit I got from my LHBS (they didn't have what I needed for my recipes so I told him to put together one of his). It was bland.

I needed to make room for my blonde ale which should be ready to keg in a few days, so I opened it up and dumped it.. all 3-4 remaining gallons.

So my question is, what otherwise healthy/non-infected beer have you dumped for seemingly no other reason than you just didn't like it?

I've dumped a saison that didn't have good hop flavors i was going for, about to dump a IIPA because its lacking the hops i was looking for. Tossed plenty of bottles that are just too out of prime to enjoy. Stop pretending you are going to drink it and just dump it. Cry once or cry every time you pour a glass and wish it could have been something else. Life is too short to drink crappy beer especially when you can make better.

I've dumped a saison that didn't have good hop flavors i was going for, about to dump a IIPA because its lacking the hops i was looking for. Tossed plenty of bottles that are just too out of prime to enjoy. Stop pretending you are going to drink it and just dump it. Cry once or cry every time you pour a glass and wish it could have been something else. Life is too short to drink crappy beer especially when you can make better.

Exactly this. You're not going to drink it. Free up your keg. Cry once and move on.

Unless you want to;

Make malt vinegar
Use it for slug bait in the garden
Spray it in the air like you won Daytona

Dump it.

Just recently dumped 3 gals of a lager that got a little too fruity and about a gal of a keg of IPA that didn't come out well due to hop choice...I got more tasty stuff to drink! No need to force myself through the bad ones

I had a batch one time that I was determined to power through. It got way hot during fermentation, bad yeast, bad recipe. In short, I knew better. I was determined to drink my punishment.

It tasted terrible and gave me weird headaches. Just smelling it gave me a hangover but I was like Homer Simpson with the week old sandwich, determined to finish it. My wife thought I was getting brain damage from it so she threw it out. Only batch I've ever dumped and I couldn't even bring myself to do it.

IPA cause wasnt bitter or hoppy enough. another IPA cause of us05 yeast taste, i hate it regardless of temp its brewed. Saison, too sweet, i like it dry.

I usually consider my failures to be a learning experience. And I learn by drinking them...every last pint. And every pint I get to remind myself "this is awful. Why didn't this DIPA ferment out all the way and stall at 1.030? Next beer I will solve this problem."

I think there was a pro brewer on the brewing network that had the same mentality and even went as far to say he considered it punishment for making a bad beer.

I have a 2 year old stout sitting in a keg in my basement. Every few months I give it a try. It still sucks, but I'll hang in there as long as I can. I guess I believe in magic.

Spray it in the air like you won Daytona
I want to see this just one time. Some dude in his yard with a keg, shaking it and spraying 5 gallons of beer all over the yard screaming. I would probably run up and start screaming with him.

I've thankfully never had to dump a 'healthy' beer, I've had some bland-ish beers. I bottle and have something like 300+ spare bottles sitting around so even if I make a boring/bland/too sweet/too hoppy/too much anything-beer, I'll just leave it and forget about it in the bottles for a couple months and come back, still bad? Start using that as the "going to get a little drunk tonight" beer.

Edit: If I kegged, I would *DEFINITELY* have had some beers I made by now that I would've dumped to make room in a keg.

I have had a few dumpers to date..Never ended up dumping them as I have a clan of 21-23 year olds in the family who are still very short on funds at this stage in life and would happily drink cat piss if it had alcohol in it. I donate the dumpers to them and they get it all gone.

That Daytona idea might be my next trick for a dumper though as that just sounds fun as hell and would scare the neighbors more than they already are of me.
:fro:

Ha, I like the "You look like I could use a beer" shirt.

I've dumped beer that was okay, but usually only if it's f*cked. I dumped maybe a gallon of a baltic porter a few months ago that wasn't tasting good to me, not a good recipe.
I dumped a whole keg of an oatmeal stout recently as well that picked up a weird strong alcohol, almost whiskey-like, flavor. It was fermented cool, so it wasn't fusels from higher temps. So I don't know where that came from. I bottled some from that batch as well and all those were gushers, so I can only assume it got infected somehow. I think it was the yeast because it never tasted right from the first time I sampled it out of the fermenter.

Meh, i live in finland, i can always squeeze some ingredient money out of workmates for alcohol....

Yep, but we are not the kind of people who are blessed with too much money.

Waste not, want not.

If a beer was just "bland" you'd better believe I'd power through that ****.

Are you kidding me? Dafuq is dis?

I'm drinking a batch that has a some phenol issues. It's like the most awesome punishment for pitching at too high a temp. And I'm hard on myself, so sometimes I force myself to drink an extra couple of bottles just to make a point. :drunk:

Yep, Ive dumped plenty to make space for better beer once Ive ran out of keg space.

My last was a bourbon Red that I tried to make. Came out with very little flavor.. Just wasn't something I wanted to drink so we had a couple bottles of it.. decided it wasn't going to get any better.. and down the hole it went. Wasn't worth storing a beer I wouldn't even drink, let alone offer to ther people.

I attempted to make a gruit using this recipe -https://distantmirror.wordpress.com/2011/01/18/ale-through-the-ages-belgian-gruit-ale/

It sucked major ass, and was one of the only beers I have ever dumped. It was probably something with my technique...... If that's what beer tasted like in medieval times I'd shoot myself with a crossbow.

I am always dumping beer. Once the hop character drops out of my beer they go right down the drain as soon as I have something to replace it with.

If the beer doesn't have an infection or anything and the taste is either bland or just not what I was going for. I make attempts to correct the issue. You can always do a few different techniques, expectially ones I have never done, and who knows the beer may turn out good.

I've dumped a corny of a Christmas ale that I brewed (according to the label which was in my handwriting, but I don't remember brewing) in 2010. I found it in the shed while spring cleaning last month. Had a serious funk.

I also dumped a barleywine. Just didn't like it. Very muddy tasting with an almost gritty mouth feel.

Back