What Have I Created!?! Input Needed - Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmgruber

Reaction score
This could be bad or it could be amazing.

I "tried" to convert a full mash recipe to a partial and my ADHD played a trick on me. I misread OZ. to read LBS. (don't ask)

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

4 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1 36.4 %
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 27.3 %
2 lbs Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 3 18.2 %
2 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 18.2 %
0.82 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 12.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028) [35.49 ml] Yeast 6

I know, I know -- That's a lot of Barley.

Also broke my hydrometer tube so no OG reading.

It was very active in the fermentor, but has slowed nicely (day 4) and smells fantastic. But what is it and will it turn out being beer?

Thoughts? Concerns? Ideas? General teasing?:eek:

How "intense" might it be? Is there a beer style or particular beer that has this much roasted barley in it?

I think it would be similar to brewing your morning coffee with 1 cup per mug-full instead of 1 tablespoon...

If you like really strong coffee maybe you will like really roast beer.

Will the damage of the barley be lessened if the grain bag was not fully immersed in the mash? (80% under water).

Alright gentleman, I will concede that this sucker is likely going to be strong flavored. Any input on how to mellow it?

kh54s10 said:
You could brew something light and mild and make a blend. Maybe an APA?

I'm assuming this was a 5g batch. Id brew an apa. Blend half the crazy **** with half the apa, so you'd still have half batch of apa and half batch of the crazy **** if you liked it lol

Hey thats a good idea. I'd brew a blonde ale and see how well it cuts the roast... maybe 4 parts blonde and 1 part... well, whatever you want to call your concoction!

You have made...something I am very interested to try! Check my logic people, wouldn't we expect this thing to have a much lower pH due to all the roast? Might have implications for fermentation, as in yeast lysis? I would make sure to taste it post-fermentation before you consider blending it to make sure nothing funny happened. Should be interesting!

Sounds delicious to me! +1 to harrymanback92. I would just age it out. But then again, I love black, roasty-toasty beer!

Plugging this into a calc I get an OG of about 1.055, thats with a efficiency of 73%. 7 gal preboil volume. I don't think the yeast will have a problem. Stick it out and give it a taste. sound interesting.

Back