What has happened to the American people?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother was down for Thanksgiving, and I gave him a Pale Ale. I think that this batch is exceptional, but he couldn't drink it. Yet he turns around and sucks down Natty Light by the case. Me, I have trouble drinking Bud Lite anymore. Different strokes, I guess.

Several other people I know, however, love to see me pull up into their drive.

The popularity of Coors Lite is one of life's great mysteries to me. I swear it's impossible for me to even catch a buzz off of that stuff. I'd have to drink enough to drown an ox.

Ya know... that sounds kinda good. Wonder if I could put steak in a randall...

Yea, you can, but make sure it's medium rare for the correct flayed cock profile.:rockin: I still wanna try that recipe (flayed cock ale), I bet it's goooooood!

Mainly the cult of cheap combined with mass consumption. Drinking 6 cheap, tasteless beers is much more manly that one good pint.

This mentality can be applied to most anything consumed by us. A couple of classic examples that affect me on a day to day -

Swedish Snus vs Camel Snus - The American product (in fact MOST of the American tobacco line) is saturated with mass amounts of SUGAR. You get that initial 'sugar buzz' cause for some odd reason sweeter is better.

This is by far the key statement. Over at least the past 60 years the american pallate has slowly become dominated by Sweet. Sweet soda, Bread that tastes like it's covered in maltose, hell american cheese is sweet. Whatever can't be made sweet has been simply made as bland as possible. Bland Beer, bland liquor (VODKA), etc.

Luckely there is a portion of the country that embraces tastes and flavors. But by and large, the big money is in sweet and bland.

Back