What good is an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invivoSaccharomyces

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of IPAs in general, but now that I'm getting into homebrewing, I'd like to figure out exactly what I don't like about them.

The reason is that I've actually had a couple IPAs and IIPAs that I didn't mind so much, but others actually make me feel sick if I drink too much. I suspect it's the fact that most IPAs taste like grapefruit, and I HAAAATE grapefruit. All the IPAs that my buddies tell me are the best (such as PseudoSue) taste like grapefruit juice to me, and make me want to start puking out of my eyeballs.

To test my hypothesis, I'm looking for a commonly-available (or at least available in WI) IPA brewed with hops that are not the three-C hops or any of the other grapefruity ones. Also, no Chinook - I had a single-hop pale with that and didn't care for it.

Any recommendations?

There is no requirement that you have to like IPA to brew. I don't care for them, I find them all to taste the same to me and its just not my thing. Just brew what you like!

Be different and continue disliking them. The only one I really enjoy is DFH 90 min. Granted it does have a ton of hop flavor and aroma (no grapefruit though), but it also has loads of malt body. Everyone gets such a huge floccing woody over IPAs, they are trendy and hip. And it confirms my dislike when someone orders an eepah, dummies.

I could see how some of the more commonly used hops in commercial IPAs might steer you away from the style. Sounds like you just need to find hops you like. Maybe try an English IPA as opposed to American, or go fruity, maybe herbal/spicy if you don't like the grapefruit. It is overdone, i'm drinking a Red's Rye clone now. When I first tried RR, the grapefruit blew my mind, now it gets tiring and seems one-dimensional.

Any of the English IPAs should avoid the grapefruit flavor.

Other than that I'm not sure, as I completely disagree with you on this one. But a lot of craft brewers list what hops they use, so you can pretty easily research what beers use hops you like.

any of the english ipas should avoid the grapefruit flavor.

Other than that i'm not sure, as i completely disagree with you on this one. But a lot of craft brewers list what hops they use, so you can pretty easily research what beers use hops you like.

+1

I'm surprised to see others feel the same way, thought that I was the only one who thought they were so one dimensional. Seems that every IPA strives to do the same thing, to outdo the others on how they can blast the world with C hops. I can't stand the aftertaste that I have after drinking an IPA, it lingers with me for hours.

I like IPAs the over grapefruity or piney ones I don't like which is most commercial brews. I've found you research the profile you want and brew that That's the beauty of home brewing

I agree, English hops wont give any grapefruit or citrus flavor. Also, most Noble hops won't give you that flavor, either.

And it's refreshing to see someone who doesn't care for IPA's. I love IPA's (especially Double/Imperial's), but because they're so popular, the market is so friggin' over satuated with them, there are a lot that simply aren't good.

I respect your being able to say what you like or not rather than simply saying "oh yeah, goooood" if you don't like it just be belong...

For me, I like lots of various pale ale's, amber or red ale's. I used to think I liked most IPA's but realized the bitterness was something that I, for one, was only pretending to actually, really like. Yeah, I tolerated the bitterness 'cuz well, who doesn't truly, really enjoy extra bitterness in beer? Me. I'm free! :mug:

I disliked ipas for a long time. I found that once I tried one I liked, it started opening the doors for others. For me that one was dogfish head 60 minute.

I have expanded my taste buds and now enjoy others as well, but not all

I used to think I liked most IPA's but realized the bitterness was something that I, for one, was only pretending to actually, really like. Yeah, I tolerated the bitterness 'cuz well, who doesn't truly, really enjoy extra bitterness in beer? Me. I'm free! :mug:

Very interesting comments! I've found myself in this boat, I think there is a difference between appreciating something and liking something. I can appreciate the pine and citrus flavors and intense bitterness in some IPAs for what they are, but it doesn't mean I like them. Now malty and roasty, that is something that I like.

tx-brewer said:
I disliked ipas for a long time. I found that once I tried one I liked, it started opening the doors for others. For me that one was dogfish head 60 minute. I have expanded my taste buds and now enjoy others as well, but not all

Two Hearted was my gateway IPA.

I think that brewing your own beer will really open the door for you to enjoy new flavors / aromas / styles. While IPA may never be your favorite beer, I bet after you experiment with different hops, you'll start to enjoy them more. When I started brewing I was almost the opposite - just did not care for a malty beer. Now I can find enjoyable characteristics in almost every style (stay away from me Biere de Garde...)

I guess all I'm saying is that after brewing my own, I really started to like all styles of beer. Now, I can enjoy a beer no matter what I "feel like" having - whether it be hoppy, malty, oaky, sour, etc. Moral of the story - start brewing :-D

Ipa's and doubles are my favorite. I have allways been an ale type of guy. I blame it on my english upbringing. I personally don't like lagers, sours and anything made with fruit

I felt the same way about Stouts and anything with the acrid/burnt flavor of roasted barley, right down to Irish reds. So I started making sweet stouts and other recipes with the roastiness tuned down, and gradually increased it as I began to be able to appreciate it. It's not necessary to put the effort into trying to like something you don't already like, but I felt it was important to ME to try and be able to appreciate the good examples of any style.

I have always hated IPAs for basically the same reason as OP but this year I got into Harpoon's IPA. It has more of a malt profile (yet still bitter) and the pine/grapefruit/resin doesn't stand out. Try Harpoon if you have access, it's about the only IPA I will drink.

Goose Island IPA is listed by the BJCP as an example of an English IPA. I like it - it's definitely different than American IPAs. I'm also a fan of 3Floyds Alpha King, which I think has a more piney/earthy taste.

Love IPAs but it didn't start that way. Personally I think beers that bitter with a high IBU I do not like as much. Also cascade hops are grapefruity and personally I've never been a fan of them although I love grapefruits.

It's all about personal taste, you'll figure it out the more you try.

I agree, English hops wont give any grapefruit or citrus flavor. Also, most Noble hops won't give you that flavor, either.

And it's refreshing to see someone who doesn't care for IPA's. I love IPA's (especially Double/Imperial's), but because they're so popular, the market is so friggin' over satuated with them, there are a lot that simply aren't good.

Worse, many of them have the IPA name, but don't really belong. It's so trendy to call your beer an IPA, breweries are doing it without offering a beer anywhere close to what I've come to expect from the monniker - beers that don't have a quarter the hop bitterness, flavor, or aroma of a regular old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, much less an actual IPA like Torpedo.

Here in China, IPA's are very few and far between. The only three I've had that I didn't carry in a suitcase are Saranac White IPA, which is more mildly-overhopped Belgian Wit, Brooklyn East India Pale Ale (didn't notice much hoppiness, and that was after six months without a single quality beer), and Chinese Shanghai microbrewer Master Gao's Baby IPA, which was undercarbonated and had virtually no hop flavor to speak of. Just more examples of the name being misappropriated.

A lot of homebrewers get into IPA's simply because it allows you to focus on hops. Hops have such a major impact on the beer, and it's so easy to adjust type, amount, and schedule for different beers/experiments. IPA's are the perfect beer for finding out what hops you really like, and it allows you to go as big and crazy as you want. Certainly doesn't have to always be grapefruity or whatever - use whatever hops you want.

It's fun to unlock the hop mysteries.. What combination of certain types of hops should I use, what ratio, etc - is a lot of fun. I also love bitterness to go with my hop flavor. I don't like bitterness just for the sake of bitterness - but when it's there to balance the rest of the hops and malt choice, then it is welcome and perfect.

Try Southern Tier's Harvest. Technically its an ESB but its really a wet hop IPA in terms of flavor/aroma. No grapefruit and very well done. Its only a month or so old so its still fresh. Might give you a good idea of how to use IPA-styled brews to your liking in the future. Though I will say its not as good as last years batch...still its the difference of 4 out 5 as opposed to last years 5 out of 5

A lot of homebrewers get into IPA's simply because it allows you to focus on hops. Hops have such a major impact on the beer, and it's so easy to adjust type, amount, and schedule for different beers/experiments.

This is true, to be sure; but another reason, I suspect, is that IPAs are almost as forgiving to beginner mistakes as brown ales. High alcohol content and heavy hopping rates give some extra leeway in sanitation, and hop bitterness can mask off flavors. The wide style variation in balance makes it easier to be on style even when the technique is off.

This isn't to say that IPAs are necessarily flawed; just that they are a broad target for a new brewer, whether home or professional, and their popularity makes them hard to pass up.

That having been said, my own EIPA was quite successful, IMAO. The English sub-style tends to be more balanced, in my experience, and rarely overpowers you with hop character the way many AIPAs and IIPAs do.

I have nevery liked IPA, in fact usually stay very well away fromt hem. That being said I can appreciate them, and actually found one which I do love...Dogfish 60 minute IPA. God its good. I usually also like havanero IPA's.

I usually stick to stouts and saisons, saisons being my favorites.

Lots of good responses, but not many recommendations! Still, I appreciate the input.

To be sure, I don't plan on brewing an IPA soon. I'll brew what I like to drink, and there's plenty enough in that category that I don't need something that I'm only okay with taking up precious fermenter space (tellingly, I currently have four different stouts either fermenting or aging, one of which was a mistake batch that I'm just letting sit until it tastes okay).

But it's good to know what one likes and dislikes. If it turns out it's the hop bitterness I dislike, I can tone down the IBUs in future brews. If it's the grapefruit flavor, I can just avoid those hop varieties. I did taste a homebrewed IPA fermented with 100% Brett, and thought it was awesome, so there's a chance I might even brew an IPA. But I need to know what to avoid if I try it.

I do tend to like English Pales, and I love the aroma and flavor of Saaz, EKG, and Nugget, and I think Willamette and Fuggles have their places.

I'll look out for some of the beers you guys recommend (although DFH describes their IPAs as "citrusy," so I'm not optimistic that I'll like them).

Drink English IPA and brew with English Hops. There are tons of English Style IPA's that I go for when Im not in a Pac NW hop bomb mood. Also a lot of the New Zealand Hops tend to go toward tropical fruit as opposed to Grapefruit. Also, there is a hop spectrum for the Pac NW. Some are piney and dank (Columbus & Simcoe) while others lend themselves to be more orange/tangerine (Amarillo).

-Yards IPA
-Firestone Walker IPA's and PA

Check it out:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/150

Lots of good responses, but not many recommendations! Still, I appreciate the input.

My recommendation is to brew beer that you like, and eventually your tastes will change/evolve. You'll begin to get a new appreciation for various ingredients and styles, and will begin experimenting more and more.

When I first drank Coffee or hard alcohol, I thought it was horrible and couldn't believe people drank that stuff and actually enjoyed it.. I drink buckets of coffee now and love it, and very much enjoy a nice Scotch. It took some time though. That's the way that most homebrewers are, too - you start up with a certain taste, but eventually you'll find some ingredient, like a certain hop, that you really like - and you want to capture that flavor and end up making an IPA.

I do tend to like English Pales, and I love the aroma and flavor of Saaz, EKG, and Nugget, and I think Willamette and Fuggles have their places.

Maybe find some hops you really like and make an English IPA. Come up with an awesome PA recipe, then amp everything up and turn it into an IPA and see how it comes out.

I'll look out for some of the beers you guys recommend (although DFH describes their IPAs as "citrusy," so I'm not optimistic that I'll like them).

DFH IPA is horrible to my taste buds lol. I love IPA's, but for some reason DFH 60 and 90 are really awful to me. I get them really fresh around here, also - yet I just can't enjoy them, but I've tried many times. I think they are awful. :cross:

I know is expensive, but try a bottle of Samuel Smith's India Ale, it's an excellent English IPA and is nothing like the citrusy kind. You can justify the price because you can try a true English IPA before you go and buy the ingredients for a 5 gallon batch of your own

I'm not a fan of IPAs in general.. although I will drink the hell out of this:

I went to Gritty's in Portland a few weeks ago when I was visiting some family in Waldeboro. I liked the beer at the pub, but didn't like what I bought in bottles. It tasted pretty stale. But it was probably because of where I bought it...a small town Hannefords...

I used to think I loved IPAs more than I've come to realize now. I like them, but can really only drink about a pint, then I'm ready for something maltier. Excessive hop flavor just leaves a nasty taste in my mouth and kills the palate anyway.

I find that I like PAs and IIPAs more than IPAs.

For me, it's generally the catty simcoe that I don't like more than the grapefruity C-hops.

I don't normally go out of my way to drink them, but after 7ish years homebrewing I finally made my own: Topaz and Willamette hops, oaked, and w/ Brett B yeast. Got complemented on it last night.

You sir are an idiot... just kidding. Everyone has different tastes and will like different things. I used to be in your camp and found IPA's too bitter but have found my palate has changed over time and now I brew IPA's probably every other batch.

To each his own...

Cheers

I've never been a fan of IPAs in general, but now that I'm getting into homebrewing, I'd like to figure out exactly what I don't like about them.

The reason is that I've actually had a couple IPAs and IIPAs that I didn't mind so much, but others actually make me feel sick if I drink too much. I suspect it's the fact that most IPAs taste like grapefruit, and I HAAAATE grapefruit. All the IPAs that my buddies tell me are the best (such as PseudoSue) taste like grapefruit juice to me, and make me want to start puking out of my eyeballs.

To test my hypothesis, I'm looking for a commonly-available (or at least available in WI) IPA brewed with hops that are not the three-C hops or any of the other grapefruity ones. Also, no Chinook - I had a single-hop pale with that and didn't care for it.

You sir are an idiot... just kidding. Everyone has different tastes and will like different things. I used to be in your camp and found IPA's too bitter but have found my palate has changed over time and now I brew IPA's probably every other batch.

To each his own...

Cheers

Any recommendations?

My gateway IIPA was Squatter's Hop Rising. I think it's Amarillo, Cascade, & Chinook.

The Amarillo & Cascade dominate with orange and citrus flavors. The Chinook is more of a background flavor.

My recommendations are Enjoy By by Stone and Fresh Squeezed by Deschutes. They are maybe exactly what you are describing you don't like but they are my favorites.

Titan IPA by Great Divide is great and that might be a good one to try. This is fairly bitter though but I'd say more dank. It does have citrus notes though.

My first IPA I really got into was Celebration Ale by Sierra Nevada though.

I dont normally go for ipa either but I do love baltic IPA and other darker ones where a malty background adds a nice rich complex flavor but even these only on rare occasions

Back