what goes with falconers flight or ok on it's own?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkeller

Reaction score
So brewing up a pretty simple american amber this weekend:

10lbs pale malt
1 lb C40
1 lb munich
8 oz C120
8 oz victory
3 oz chocolate

shooting for a low mash temp to help dry it out with the 1.5 lbs of crystal malts, so probably 150 for 75-90 minutes. I hate underattenuated sweet beers, i'm figuring the munich and victory will give me the body and maltiness that i want.

For hops i'm not sure. I just got 4 oz of falconers flight and would am planning on using those. I'd really like to hold onto some of them so i've got them to use at a later time. So I was thinking

generic bittering hop at 60 for ~30 bu's

1oz falconers at 15
1oz falconers at 5

Gets me 49 IBU's in a 1.058 beer.

Pretty much what i'm shooting for, but have a feeling i might be a little lacking in hop flavor and aroma.

Any ideas? Maybe add an oz of cascade at 10 and 1? Or use 2 oz of falconers and 2 oz cascade all mixed up and continuously hopped for the last 15 minutes? Or I've got 2 oz simcoe in the freezer, but falconers also has simcoe in it I think.

Basically looking for someone to tell me that 2 oz of falconers flight in this beer will give me good aroma and flavor, not punch you in the face IIPA aroma and flavor, but good for the upper end of the style. Never used falconers so i'd like to see what it has on it's own. I guess i could use all 4 oz, or dry hop with the other two.

Just too many damn possibilities. Help me obi wan, you're my only hope.

Personally, I love Falconer's. It's a blend, so they've already done the work for you! These are great flavor and aroma hops, so you'll be fine. Maybe consider cutting the 5 minute hops in half and using the other half at flameout for more aroma.

I would consider using only the Falconer's, if for no other reason than to really get a good idea what they do in a beer. And sure, dry hop with an ounce or half ounce. I think you will really like Falconer's.

Latest posts

Back