what else do i need before i brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grinder143

Reaction score
I have a basic brewing set and i have ordered
bottles
auto siphon
wine thief
star san
spoon
caps
i have pots and an burner
any other ideas

Depends on what was included in the basic brewing set, but one thing that jumps out at me is a good floating thermometer. You'll probably eventually want to get a hydrometer, too. It's not required, but very very important :)

Obviously you are going to need your primary fermentation vessel (I didnt see that in your list) DOH - Im guessing that came in your 'kit' (Reread what you posted)

It looks like you pretty much have all of the basics you will need to successfully get your first batch under your belt.

One thing you WILL need that you didnt list is PATIENCE.

Patience with yourself to start off - you are going to make some mistakes (we all do) but realize that its not the end of the world - your beer is much more forgiving than you may think. And patience with your finished product. Too many people are in a hurry to get their beers to the secondary/bottle/mouth. Give your yeasties time to do their job. You will be greatly rewarded for your patience. :)
-Me

What kind of shape is your liver in? You'll need a good, strong liver to get you through this....

You may want a grain bag depending on the recipe/kit you are brewing. And a colander or something to help filter and aerate as you pour into the fermenter is helpful.

If you have a Wine Thief, I assume you have a hydrometer. Starsan is a great sanitizer. Oxyclean is a great cleaner. Other than a thermometer, I would have a 5 gallon jug (like a water jug with a spigot on it) to store your diluted Starsan in, and a spray bottle to store your diluted Starsan in. Both of those are inexpensive, and allows you to reuse the Starsan throughout the entire batch. They also allow you to do a quick sanitization. I can't tell you how useful they are to me. Not required, but very nice to have.

A secondary little bucket for blowoff is probably a good idea unless you like mopping foam off your floor or carpet :p

Make sure though to fill the blowoff bucket 1/3 with sanitized water!

A secondary little bucket for blowoff is probably a good idea unless you like mopping foam off your floor or carpet :p

Make sure though to fill the blowoff bucket 1/3 with sanitized water!

I just kept one of the apple juice containers from my apfelwine batch for this.

Back