What does your LHBS do to keep you coming back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LHBS is over an hour away. But they are pretty much fully stocked, plus have flour for bread, cheese ingredients, etc., Cigars, amazing selection of beers and wines. Much like Cap 'N Cork, but in Grand Rapids. The people are all experienced brewers and will help with advice and recipes, and they've even let me use their laptop to look up recipes on HBT when I forgot my ingredients list.

There is another LHBS that is a bit closer. They are decent, but I have to hustle after work, as they are usually only open until 6PM. They don't have as much stuff, but still have most things you could want, and they used to have a kegerator in the place for sampling from... Don't know if it's still there. They also do a fair amount of online sales. www.brewgadgets.com.

I rarely order online simply because I enjoy going to the stores. I probably don't save money over gas. I'll even wait 3-5 days to go there instead of saving money on gas and time too. I'm dumb that way.

I've been to three near me. One is closed on Sunday which is usually my day off.
The one that's closest to me (10 minute drive) is way overpriced on everything. They do have a discount program but it works out to less than 10 percent off. The people there aren't rude but they aren't really nice either. They feel like their goal is to complete the transaction as fast as possible rather than making sure you have what you need. I've only been there once when there were other customers in the store but it still always takes at least 5 minutes before anyone says a word to me.

The one I go to (30 minute drive without traffic) has a program where you put $50 down on grain and get it for 25% off (their prices on grain were lower than the other store before the discount, too)
They're nice guys, they don't know me by name but they do know the brews I have going and ask how they're turning out. They all brew a lot, and really know what they're talking about.

Our place is right around the corner from our house... Usually has 4-6 beers on tap for samples, great prices and friendly atmosphere... Always there to answer questions and etc...

Mine sells at the same same price as the big online places, sometime cheaper. Since there is no additional cost for shipping which can get pretty expensive for a 15L wine kit, carboy, bulk ingredients etc. I generally go there first

Mine is a well known shop. I go because I can get the stuff when I need it. They are friendly only if you talk to them, they never initiate any conversation like asking what you are making or things like that. I've tried to initiate conversations because I love to talk homebrewing, but no go. I feel like it's an atmosphere of get what you need and go.

The store I buy from is owned by the guy who is always there. He is extremely friendly, knowledgable and helpful. It's in this weird "farmers market" so people watching is a plus. His prices are a bit high and really doesn't have a very large selection but that doesn't bother me. I make do. He is always up for just bull****ting about anything. The hours plain suck though. Friday Saturday and Sunday are the only days they are open. Also he is a member on this site.

I have one that is very close to me, has great prices and has a very knowledgeable and helpful staff. Unfortunately since making the switch to all grain I've noticed their grain selection isn't that large, and their mill sucks.

Still go there for some yeast at the beginning of the week for a starter. I also bring extract brewing friends there because place is never really busy.

Then, an hour away is morebeer. They get good reviews, but I've never had good experience with them. Old yeast, crappy mill. Good selection of equipment though. No one there is there to help.

Somewhere in between is the current store I go to. Ran by husband and wife. One is an extract brewer the other an all grain brewer. I never went there because they closes early but I recently found out they do that to brew themselves and invite new people to watch the process. They have the largest selection of grain and the best mill in town. Everything is fresh and they have a decent amount of equipment. Always there to help you out. They're a little far away but they'll be my new store from now on. Plus they're they only brew shop that my girl and I have bounced recipe ideas off of and they actually take interest, including letting us sample some of theirs when we have an idea of a recipe but aren't quite sure if we'll like it.

The store I buy from is owned by the guy who is always there. He is extremely friendly, knowledgable and helpful. It's in this weird "farmers market" so people watching is a plus. His prices are a bit high and really doesn't have a very large selection but that doesn't bother me. I make do. He is always up for just bull****ting about anything. The hours plain suck though. Friday Saturday and Sunday are the only days they are open. Also he is a member on this site.

Is it Booth's Corner?

My LHBS just moved 3 blocks from my house. The guys are super helpful and I can go over with any little issue and get great help.

Well for Morebeer in concord:
Pros:
Friendly staff
good selection/stock

Cons:
Grain mill's crush sucks, especially for smaller grains
Rarely have anything on sale, not even a monthly sale recipe
Closes earlier then convenient (during the work week)
Hops in stock are hit/miss
Do not want to take back or provide support for faulty products
Higher prices

So even though I live 10 minutes away, I really give alot of my business to Austin Homebrew, and all the small vendors on this site. They have all had way better customer service then morebeer

Not only does the lady that owns the shop reminds me of my grandma and is supper nice and always willing to try and critique my beer and recipes but her shop is in the middle of a subdivision which is cool and it is a 5 minute drive from my house

This is the same one I go to. Tried one about 30 minutes away when I was just getting started, but then I found this one closer when searching Google. Read a couple reviews, and decided to give it a try. The owner is rad. She does wine, beer, and cheesemaking. Doesn't brew as much as she used to, but does a cheese demo every Saturday and is still very knowledgeable about brewing techniques and very eager to help. She always has a sample of homebrew on tap, and will treat you fairly when setting up your beginner's equipment. She is willing to mix and match items in her startup kit. If you already have something (like a capper and caps), she'll let you sub them out for a case of bottles, or an equivalent amount of grain.

All in all, she seems to be a great ambassador for the hobby, which I appreciate as much as anything. Honestly, I haven't even compared prices, as I would rather support this type of business, even if it is more expensive. Plus, I like to decide that I want to brew tomorrow, and be able to get everything I need in time to do it.

Friendly service, always willing to help, positive attitude, no "I'm better than you and you can't pretend to know half as much as I do cause I'm a LHBS owner" BS, hands on set up (you mill your own grain), good selection, and of course, free samples of beer when available.

I mostly shop at Victors Grape Arbor in Albuquerque, Small place easy to get to prices are a little higher than buying on line but worth it to me. Grains are always fresh and no charge for milling. They do host classes every now and then but I have yet to be able to attend one due to work. The staff is helpfull and has great advice to give, and willing to share any information they have. Plus the lady that owns the place makes me giddy every time I go in.....

I go to Grape and Granary in Akron, OH.

They have vaguely acceptable prices, I mostly go there because I'm always on a fairly tight schedule and forget to order from NB or MoreBeer or the like ahead of time.
The staff seems pretty knowledgeable about their products (like knowing SRM off the top of their heads), if I get grain milled there, it's consistent.
They do have one employee that has some pretty noticeable allergies, and nosepicking while getting grain is a little off-putting, but whatever, it all gets boiled eventually.

I will say that as far as I know and have seen, they never ever do the "better than you, you don't know what you're doing" thing. I know lots of people have problems with that, but the staff is always very nice.

I like using the Local Home Brew Store because I can go in with a complicated grain order and he will select and combine it into one batch. Then it is all ground together. I like this better than ordering everything in big bags and having to measure out myself. Also he gives me 3 oz of something if that's what I want. He also seems very fair on price.

I think I should go see him soon....Mike

They sell grain in any qty (fractions of a pound), have very reasonably priced grain, grain is always fresh. It helps that they are open on weekends.

Equipment is priced high, compared to internet suppliers so I only by small items there.

Selection is very important (grain, hops, yeast).

I have 2 lhbs near where i live and really enjoy going into both shops. I just recently discovered the second one and their prices are a little better than the first,however i still want to support the other. The owner is really knowlegdable and has shared a ton of info with me. A few months ago i walked into the shop and it was 99 degrees in there, lucky for him im a heating and air guy and fixed it for him pretty quick and he hooked me up with $40 store credit!! So i still need to support his store

Local shop is 15 minutes away and is run by a Gentlemen with an extremely friendly personality. I bring in a list and he runs all over the store filling the order. Mills the grains no charge. Has always had everything I needed, and is quick with advise and reccomendations. The prices are equal or sometimes less than mailorder/internet, except the yeast. Even has a box of toys. I was running errands one day with my two lil ones, ages 2 and 4, stopped in the shop and thoguth the lil Guys would tear the store appart. Owner had a box of toys for the kids to play with while he filled my order and passed on some more great tips for my brew. My 4 year old sometimes asks "Daddy, can we go to the beer store?" LOL

I've only been brewing for 14 months and I started off using a couple online sources. But since going to a LHBS about 15 miles away, I have not used the online source. My LHBS has prices that are just as good and I have not had to switch grains, hops or yeast when I take in a recipe. Specialty grains are about $1.70 per lb. and hops range from $1.50-$2.10 an oz.
I also get 50 lbs. of 2-row for $39 and they will crush for free as I need it.
They are a great group of people and I just enjoy going there. Plus, it's only a couple miles out of my way home from work and it's where I pick up my copy of the Michigan Beer Guide!! How else would I know that Founders Harvest Party is this weekend.... Can't wait to try the black wheat IPA and the barrel hopped Red's Rye!:mug:

All I ask is three beers apiece for each of my co-workers...I think a man workin outdoors, feels more like a man if he can have a bottle of suds.

Still at the very top of my list for best movie quotes of all time. :mug:

Damn you, just ordered Shawshank on PPV. You owe me 4 bucks. :D

Wish I knew where and when my DVD got lost....

The local owner is a friend of mine. And his prices are very good. And he will bend over backward to stock whatever you ask for. And he is president of the local homebrew club. And he is a graduate of brewing school, and has worked in a brewpub, so he is very knowledgeable. The guy just knows his ****. And he is also a good ****. So he has my business.

I'll agree with Revvy that Cap N Cork is a very good store in the Metro Detroit area. Been there a couple times, actually purchased my initial equipment and did my first batch in their parking lot a few years ago at a brewing event. The only problem is that they're a bit out of the way for me to go to for supplies.

Adventures in Homebrewing in Taylor, MI is located pretty close to my office, and I've had nothing but a good experience every time I go there. Their staff is knowledgeable, and the store is packed to the rafters with product. They also hold group brew days and other events at the store.

http://www.homebrewing.org/

Adventures in Homebrewing in Taylor, MI is located pretty close to my office, and I've had nothing but a good experience every time I go there. Their staff is knowledgeable, and the store is packed to the rafters with product. They also hold group brew days and other events at the store.

http://www.homebrewing.org/

That's the place I didn't name in my initial post that I felt was really dark, dirty, cluttered and the folks weren't that helpful.....I know a lot of people seem to like it, but it just wasn't my kind of place.

I shop at AHS. Its 20 minutes from home and has a hell of a selection. The new store is clean and well organized and easy to get to.
They have a number system so when they are crowded, it doesn't seem like too long.

Good selection, ok location, good hours, and great prices ($50 for bag of 2 row ie)

Our HBT tent
DSCN2812.jpg

It even has a guy giving us the finger!! :tank:

My favorite homebrew shop in Colorado is Hops & Berries in Ft. Collins. The owner & staff are all brewers with both commercial & homebrewing experience. Very knowlegable & friendly. They stock over 100 different grains, 4 or 5 malt extracts (always fresh), plenty of hops & yeast, etc... AND they also operate an excellent microbrewery next door to the LHBS ! Not to mention that Colin, the owner, also started the Liquid Poet's Society Homebrew Club which is the largest club in Colorado. The entire Colorado Brewing Community is quite vibrant, and Hops & Berries has been GREAT in promoting the appreciation of beer and brewing. Colorado is for beer lovers ! Hops & Berries also has a "rewards" program for their customers.

Brewbrothers is one of many in the Portland metro area. Prices are usually the lowest and they started that trend and others have had to compete and lower prices. It's the only shop that knows my name when I walk in the door instead of calling me "hey man". That alone is worthy of my loyalty. I asked about Hop extract and the next time I showed up I got two syringes for free to sample. btw - don't lick your fingers after messing with that stuff, it is intense.

I love that place. I just went this afternoon. Yeah, they're about 20 miles from me, but I plan several brews and get a few months worth at a time. Last time I emailed a big list of things I needed and it was all waiting for me when I got there. Today I just got a few things but I was headed in that direction already.

Sadly, mine does little or nothing, and after my last experience--waited 25 mins in a 700 sq ft shop without getting any service or attention--I've vowed never to go back. Overpriced, under-informed, and inattentive = 3 strikes. Sad.

I have a half a dozen LHBS's in the area and often times finding myself driving to the furthest one. I can order everything online, and they have it ready for pick up with a day's notice. They mill my grain for me at no charge, have drilled holes in kettles at no charge, and always have beer on tap to sample. They are also always friendly, greet me by name when I come in, and are always friendly and have good advice.

I can also tell you what not to do. I literally have a LHBS within 2 blocks of my house, and have been there a couple of times. The proprietor is always cranky, condescending, and a down right *****. I use them in an absolute pinch, but would much rather drive a half an hour to my preferred store. If you treat your customers with genuine respect and friendliness, it goes a LONG WAY. I've had to wait an hour for an order before in my preferred store, but they took care of me no matter what. They offer hop substitutions, recommendations on grains, and a wealth of information.

Those are just my 2 cents. :)

Nothing. I use Midwest instead. When I first started making wine I went to my Local. His shelves are almost bare and its not because he has a flood of buissness. The guy is horrible at keeping inventory, his prices suck(even with shipping midwest is cheaper) and his liquid yeast fridge had only 3 smack packs in it lol. Such an epic fail LHBS. Its a wonder he has been in buisness for like 20 years

Mine is small, crowded, dusty, and great-smelling. Customer service can't be described as gregarious, but he carries just about everything in stock shy of stuff like conical fermentors, and his prices are comparable to the best online pricing, and in some cases cheaper. Cracks your grain for free, including bulk. Generally, you're "encouraged" to order online, so I always do, and my stuff is always ready when I go to pick up. There's only one guy on duty, and it isn't a store where you can meander around and "shop". I'm surprised the owner knows where everything is. If you had people coming in with lists and planning on waiting, it'd take forever. But if you know what you want, it's hard to beat, plus it's 10 minutes from my house.

He has an unbeatable beer selection! Other than that he's a cool guy and some of his items (bottles + sugar) are cheaper than online. As far as grain and yeast he doesn't have the quanity and selection i'd like but he tries.

My LHBS is about 45 minutes away but its attached to Bell's cafe..... They are usually well stocked and have a good selection of equipment, oh yeah and a walk in cooler of all the Bell's brews. The only thing I wish they did have was Wyeast. And the bottles are only $5 a case.

My LHBS is great. The people there are knowledgeable and friendly and the store is very well stocked. Most of their ingredient prices are comparable to what I find online. I just wish they were closer because I have to drive 30+ mins to get there.

My LHBS is about 45 minutes away but its attached to Bell's cafe..... They are usually well stocked and have a good selection of equipment, oh yeah and a walk in cooler of all the Bell's brews. The only thing I wish they did have was Wyeast. And the bottles are only $5 a case.

I took a drive up toBell's General Store Last Saturday, And I will have to agree with wcrooker very well stocked, I picked up some of those 5 buck bottles and they come in a Bell's case and then in two hearted ale 6ers! sweet ! the attendants were top notch it made for a superb 1st experience there I will go back.

I, like a few others in this thread, greatly dislike my LHBS. I basically only go there for things that are heavy or other equipment I need asap. On the surface it seems like a good shop but then we you start talking to the owners, you realize that they have no business in sales. An interesting interaction my trip there was someone trying to buy unmilled grain. They said they always mill the grain. The customer said he wasn't using the grain for a little bit and had his own grain that is setup for the exact setting he wanted. The customer ended up just leaving without buying anything. The store has had really poor reviews all over the internet.

I did just found a LHBS that is a bit smaller, but seems to be more friendly. I've only gone there once, but I plan on going there more. Either way both are 45 min + drive, so Northern Brewer, Midwest, and AHS get most of my business.

Desrever said:
I took a drive up toBell's General Store Last Saturday, And I will have to agree with wcrooker very well stocked, I picked up some of those 5 buck bottles and they come in a Bell's case and then in two hearted ale 6ers! sweet ! the attendants were top notch it made for a superb 1st experience there I will go back.

I just looked, I guess they raised their prices. $8 a case now. Still a hell of a deal IMO.

Latest posts

Back